2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Gear Box Seal Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 07:14 PM
chadhager03
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have a part number for the seal or a name to call it?

Old 12-13-2011, 08:38 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Parts manual in FAQ/DIY section. Can't recall waht page.

Rebuilding the gear box is cheaper, but it is difficult. Trying to take it apart without droppong ***** from ballscrew is difficult. Have to make a special tool to hold ***** when you pull screw out from other end. Buying a redhead is probably the best option. I was determined to rebuild mine, but it took a while to do. Good thing is I had plenty of time because I have too many cars and trucks. Did not mater that it took 3 days.

Old 12-13-2011, 09:12 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional

I have a seal kit, for the entire gear box, from napa.. Dunno if that part number will help you out or not.. Its kit 7-205. I have another vehicle, but Im short on patience.. maybe buying one is best.. I love working on this truck, but I would rather not touch a bearing again. lol. I have time to spare though.. It leaks maybe half way down the stick in a month's time, maybe a little shorter.. I may just go ahead and replace the seal for now, buy another and mess with rebuilding the old one just to have on hand, doubt i'll ever need it though.. Never know! Thanks everyone for all the info! Im not going to attempt this project till saturday.. I have a long drive friday, and Im not prepared to screw it up BEFORE that.. lol!

Old 12-31-2011, 12:31 AM
RaissiKitten
Professional

Ok.. here's a kinda update.. sorry its so late.. with the weather and moving and doc appts its impossible to plan anything.. I said before the truck likes to wander, seriously.. I had 6 inches of play in the wheel.. So I tightened up the gearbox adjustment.. Actually.. as far as it would possibly go, with still two inches of play remaining, (No binding).. It doesnt wander like it did.. Yay.. However, when driving to the right, the truck feels like it sometimes tries to dive over itself.. Not major, its just like a lerch to the right.. Now, that being said I am also currently working on a 4x4 (posted elsewhere) that isnt working.. I found out the transfer case works, but the axles arent moving at all.. Im wondering if perhaps the axles arent stuck half way or something, causeing it to catch when I turn the wheel right.. Sound possible? or should I give up the excuse digging and figure the gearbox is bad? It doesnt have a problem to the left, just the right, and Ive turned the wheels sharp to the right before and the 4x4 would catch.. Anyway.. I WILL reseal the gearbox tomorrow.. Although Im not sure if it will be a waste of time or not.. guess I will find out eventually.. Im beating myself right now.. (Working on it today I found Transmission fluid all over the bottom of the pan, and two stripped bolts in the pan..... No lost fluid on the dipstick though, so maybe its old from the fluid and filter change a month ago..) AAaaahhhhh!! OOH. By the way.. Good luck finding a 4.5mm Hex to go in the adjustment nut on the gear box.. I searched high and low, ordered the wrong stuff from napa, and finally chanced on it at Orielly's... One.. No one else even knew they existed.. Wow!

Old 12-31-2011, 01:57 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Don't know about 4x4 as ny Ram is 2wd....but i have seen a number of postings about vacuum lines to CAD. Maybe turning to the right it does catch.....check vac lines for cracking or breaks. May do a search for sonmething like "4x4 not working." Zman has provided significant info on this for others.....might PM for link if you cannot find it.

Old 01-05-2012, 09:24 AM
RaissiKitten
Professional

Ive looked through some of his posts.. Checked a few things but nothing seems to match up.. I did check the vacuum lines, there is good vacuum.. I even reversed them to see if someone put them in backwards, no luck. I think i've narrowed it down to an accuator that is bad.. Not to worried about that yet, I may just run it in to a shop, though I hate to... Anyway, I replaced the seal.. Thanks again for all the help on it. Still isnt steering right, But I didnt think it would. It is better since the adjustment.. I will drive it awhile till I get the 4x4 fixed, and if that does no different, I will probably go ahead and put in a new gearbox, just incase the gears are worn. It has 209,000 miles, so it is very possible they are worn. I DID notice a small amount of play in the shaft that runs to the firewall.. Wonder if this is causing it?

Old 01-05-2012, 10:10 AM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

How is the condition of the rest of your steering components from gearbox to wheels? (e.g,. tie rods, drag link, rod ends, track bar)

On the steering shaft, definitely check the ujoint that is in there. It could be bad. They are hard to discern play in them though b/c of how easy to to wiggle the gearbox.

Old 01-06-2012, 03:38 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional

That is what I was about to ask.. The shaft wiggles, not serious, but it DOES move.. Im not sure how the u joint in there is.. Seems like U joints are my worst enemy today (Need two new ones on the front axle) Anyway.. Everything looks great, well lubricated.. And nothing moves out of normal except the Steering Damper, Which only moves if I pull it toward the front of the vehicle it moves back and forth a little.. I had someone turn the wheel while I looked underneath, and everything seemed to go good.. The shaft does turn a little ways before the wheels do..

Old 01-06-2012, 03:40 PM
RaissiKitten
Professional

One more question.. On the steering shaft.. if the U joint is bad, you have to go about replacing the whole shaft, or is there a replacement u joint.. Napa has no idea about this, and they are my usual go to

Old 01-06-2012, 03:53 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Borgensen makes a replacement shaft that is much better than the stock unit. Of course, it's 200 and some odd bucks too..... Don't know if there are repair kits for those though...

Quick Reply: Gear Box Seal Replacement?