2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

new user need haaalp and a transmission

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2011, 09:23 PM
pwscheib
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new user need haaalp and a transmission

just bought a 1998 1500 laramie 4X4 and it needs a tranny should I rebuild or buy a new or used. One of the junk yards told me that the 46re trans only fits the 98 99 years and that I would have to hunt for that year of truck and that model only ,is that true or will a durango or dakota work? or is someone trying to pull the wool over my eyes to sell me a $1000 tranny with over 300,000.?

Old 12-15-2011, 09:49 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

There is not an OE 46rfe on the planet with 300k on it unless its been rebuilt about five times or so...

$2k or so will get you a Dr. Evil.. $2800 will get you a PATC.. the PATC is a one time spend, and the evil is a pretty good trans too..

There ain't no way I'd spend $1k on a boneyard trans.. no sir.. you can get an eBay rebuild for that...

With PATC or the evil, there is no core charge.. you could check yours for hard part failure, and if it checked out- throw a rebuilt kit in it for 3~400, and sell it for 800 or so.. recoup some change..

That would (and likely will be) my course...

Old 12-15-2011, 10:08 PM
gdstock
Legend

JY tranny should be a couple hundred....but usually no guarantee. May do in a pinch while you rebuild yours, but I would be leary at anything over $150. Should be able to find a reputable shop rebuild for $1000 or so, but read some of the tranny threads for recommendations for upgrades like solenoids, shift kit, etc.

Old 12-16-2011, 11:43 AM
RamusMaximus
Amateur

I'd either have it rebuilt or buy a rebuilt, especially if you can put it in or get it put in cheap. Take care if you buy another unit that it is compatible with the computer control system in your truck. I would imagine a good rebuilt reseller would be able to help you there.

Old 12-16-2011, 01:29 PM
pwscheib

sorry I forgot to put the km after the 300,000
I'm probably going to rebuild the thing myself but I've never rebuilt a mopar tranny, chevy's yes, but not mopar, any way the person who had it before me was not mechanically inclined and put the wrong fluid in it and burned it out pretty bad, the fluid on the dip stick was a dark brown and smelled burned so i'm guessing clutch pack and seals,it slips in and out of gear when its hot but grabs good when its cold. could not pass it up for $900 cdn just a little bit of rot on the cab corners but a solid untercoated body and solid box, still is it only the 98-99 46re that fit that truck?

Old 12-16-2011, 02:17 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Here is the step by step on a RE: Good luck with that!!!
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/4...torial-911009/

Old 12-16-2011, 02:25 PM
Wombat Ranger
Grand Champion

Unless you are just planning to flip the truck for a buck, spend the extra cash for a PATC. If you dont, you will be doing the job again. And again.

Old 12-16-2011, 07:25 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

The JY is right, except I think 97 will also work. 97 to 99 only(for a direct swap). Before or after those years the interior sensor(s) harness changed. You can get a 2000 or 2001 tranny from a Ram 4X4 not 2wd, and swap the governor body from your old tranny to the new one. Along with ALL new sensors, you"ll be good to go. A Durango or whatever tranny might work, but I don't know for sure . All I know is what I know LOL, that swapping one year Ram to another, that would be the procedure.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:21 PM
pwscheib

well I want to thank you all for all of your advice I am going to look fo another tranny so I can run this truck and send my core to monster transmission so they can rebuild it ...I LOVE this truck it will be a valued tow vehicle for my drag car(1980camaro)sorry guys I'm not brand loyal I drive things that will take the abuse from my right foot. I've always liked my buddys 01 1500 and how it pulls his cuda, and how my other buddys duramax is always in the shop,and the f150 I drove, may it rust in peace(I was afraid to park it on the street and get charged with littering). I will be asking for more pointers soon! THANKS AGAIN!!

Old 12-17-2011, 09:57 PM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As much as I love Rams, the trannies are not the best in the biz. If you rebuild it, it will have better parts going into it than it had when it was first made. If you spend extra, you can make it rather strong. I had some tranny woes recently & I can share what I found out about Ram transmissions. The # - 42, 46 or 48 is the overall strength rating. The 48 series I think are used in the diesel and v10 models, the 42 used in the V6 model & stinks like poopoo. I was able to fit a 46re in my 2wd Ram but had to have the driveshaft shortened & balanced so it would fit because the housing is longer on the 46 than the 42. The R I think stands for RWD & the E is for electronically controlled whereas the H would be hydraulic. If yours is a 4wd, I do not know if it would fit or if the housing on the 4wd is longer from a 46 series also. If you can physically bolt it in & the shafts don't match length, that is doable. It cost me $125 to get my driveshaft modified in my town, but if you have 2 shafts that could be twice as much.

Quick Reply: new user need haaalp and a transmission