2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Lots nut in engine during plenum gasket repair.

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2011 | 04:52 PM
sk187
|
Professional

Originally Posted by HeyYou
There is other stuff it can get caught on on the way down, (and totally destroy when you start the engine....) but, it would eventually make it's way to the pan. With the pan off, you can shine a bright light around, and probably find it.
Thanks I will drop the pan and look around.

Is there anyway it could end up by the timing chain?

Old 12-17-2011 | 04:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by sk187
Thanks I will drop the pan and look around.

Is there anyway it could end up by the timing chain?
It would have to get really creative to get in there, the holes are small, if there are any at all..... (can't recall, been a while since I was in there.) and there's a lotta 'stuff' in the way. Dropping the pan really isn't that bad of a job. Give you the opportunity to make sure your pickup tube is nice and clean as well.

Old 12-17-2011 | 05:02 PM
sk187
|
Professional

It would have to get really creative to get in there, the holes are small, if there are any at all..... (can't recall, been a while since I was in there.) and there's a lotta 'stuff' in the way. Dropping the pan really isn't that bad of a job. Give you the opportunity to make sure your pickup tube is nice and clean as well.

Alright so basically there is nothing under the cam so the nut I dropped would fall past the cam and right down into the oil pan?

Thanks for helping.

Old 12-17-2011 | 05:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by sk187
Alright so basically there is nothing under the cam so the nut I dropped would fall past the cam and right down into the oil pan?

Thanks for helping.
Or onto the crank. There is some webbing and such below the cam, but, it's mostly open space. You may have to get creative to look around and find it, or, it might be right there in the oil pan when you drop it.

Old 12-17-2011 | 06:00 PM
sk187
|
Professional

Or onto the crank. There is some webbing and such below the cam, but, it's mostly open space. You may have to get creative to look around and find it, or, it might be right there in the oil pan when you drop it.
Thanks alot you have been a big help. I will take the pan off Monday and see what I can find.

Old 12-17-2011 | 06:45 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker

Before you get into all that, you might want to look real hard around the truck on the floor. Just to make sure it didnt fall on the floor and roll somewhere. Also, on the motor, accessories, and nooks and crannies in that area.

Old 12-17-2011 | 07:17 PM
chadhager03
Captain

You could pour some oil in there when you get the pan off to maybe flush it out, couldn't you?

Old 12-17-2011 | 09:38 PM
sk187
|
Professional

Originally Posted by kejobe
Before you get into all that, you might want to look real hard around the truck on the floor. Just to make sure it didnt fall on the floor and roll somewhere. Also, on the motor, accessories, and nooks and crannies in that area.
I did that for 2 hrs trying to get lucky but its for sure in the engine.

Old 12-17-2011 | 09:39 PM
sk187
|
Professional

Originally Posted by chadhager03
You could pour some oil in there when you get the pan off to maybe flush it out, couldn't you?
Thats a good idea, the engine is filthy anyway so I will clean it with diesel and try to flush it into the pan if its not already there.

Old 12-18-2011 | 07:14 AM
Novarider
Captain

You could run a magnet along the oil pan to see if you can attract the bolt. That way you would at least know it's in the pan. If it picks it up you should be able to hear it moving around. That's as long as the bolt is a ferrous metal

Quick Reply: Lots nut in engine during plenum gasket repair.