2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No inside heat/overheating engine help!!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 01:11 AM
Bbrockmeyer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No inside heat/overheating engine help!!!

I just had to replace my water pump, radiator, and thermostat and my truck has no inside heat and its overheating on the engine. I dont know what else to do. Some one please help me.

Old 12-20-2011, 05:51 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Did you burp the system? And did you check the Tstat before installing it?

Old 12-20-2011, 05:53 AM
kfbryant1
Amateur

how was the interior heat before you did the repairs?

Old 12-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

hmm what failed to cause all this stuff to go bad at once? or were you just troubleshooting because it started overheating? did you add anything like stopleak prior to the problems?

Old 12-20-2011, 12:20 PM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Make sure the serpentine belt is routed properly and the thermostat isn't upside-down (though you'd still have cab heat even if it is upside-down).

Please explain why you tore into it and what you've already checked so we might be able to help you. It sounds like you're describing a complete lack of coolant flow.

Old 12-23-2011, 02:26 AM
Bbrockmeyer

I was fixing my water pump and when I took the fan shroud off I put a hole into the radiator and I had to cut the bolt that connected the fan clutch to the water pump because it was stripped. I replaced the thermostat because I thought that was the reason it was overheating but its still overheating. The tempeture gauge will slowly heat up to about 135 degrees and then it will shoot up to about 225 degrees and then it will slowly heat up to about 250 degrees but the block isn't heatin up that much. Could this be the temp. sensor?

Old 12-23-2011, 09:15 AM
mstephen89
Captain

yes its the temp sensor...my truck did the same thing this past summer. I forget the numbers but it was quickly jumping back and forth from cold to hot. As for the no heat in the cab, no idea. Is there a valve or something that turns off when heat is not in use. Did you get all the air out after the work you did? Run the truck with the radiator cap off, until it gets up to operating temp, and continually fill with water. Trust me you will know when the thermostat opens, all of a sudden the radiator will be empty.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:30 AM
Bbrockmeyer

I ran the truck without the radiatior cap on it and it just started to bubble up should I just let it keep bubbling out until its done or what?

Old 12-23-2011, 10:09 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Bbrockmeyer
I ran the truck without the radiatior cap on it and it just started to bubble up should I just let it keep bubbling out until its done or what?
Yes, and keep filling it.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:30 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

by bubbling out do you mean air or all the fluid is pouring out? if its fluid something is wrong with the plumbing or blocked I would think..... When I burp the system I park on and incline so the corner where with the rad cap is higher than the other end...this helps a lot to prevent air bubbles...
is this truck new to you? have the heat ever worked? hopefuly the heater core isnt bypassed or something.

Quick Reply: No inside heat/overheating engine help!!!