2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Heater Core Installation

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 08:43 AM
soloflite
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The only issue I have w/ this, would be the soft lines inside the truck, more chance of leaking. Also, and we can discuss both sides of this, but the soft hoses will need to be changed more often than hard lines, so this way would mean more times throughout the life of the truck changing heater hose, not wanting to go in there anymore than I have to at the moment.

It is nice for quick fix and to re-sell maybe, but wouldn't do this on my own vehicle that I don't plan on getting rid of anytime soon.

thanks for sharing..

Originally Posted by sk187
I just posted this in another thread but.......

I did the AC and Heater separately about 3 years apart. On the heater core I cut the metal lines back on the core and ran in 2 heater lines. This way you do not have to get the metal lines by the firewall, it also makes it alot easier to change later if you have to.

On the second install the dash completely cracked apart.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I dont really see why you need the metal line going past the firewall if you run soft lines in you only have to pull the dash back a little ways, slide the core out and hook up the hoses.

Old 12-23-2011, 09:59 AM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I did the AC and Heater separately about 3 years apart. On the heater core I cut the metal lines back on the core and ran in 2 heater lines. This way you do not have to get the metal lines by the firewall, it also makes it alot easier to change later if you have to.

I dont really see why you need the metal line going past the firewall if you run soft lines in you only have to pull the dash back a little ways, slide the core out and hook up the hoses.
That has Previous Owner Hack Disaster Repair written all over it.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:13 AM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you look carefully, one of the red hoses is binding. It's somewhat pinched. As time goes on, with the amount of heat coming threw, that pinch will continue to get worse as the the heat molds it that way. No heat a year from now? I know why!

Old 12-23-2011, 06:23 PM
soloflite
Professional

Well I got the complete dash out in about 1.5 hours today. Heater core is definately leaking. I was using a dash mat to cover the multiple cracks, and looks like I'm going to have to find another dash now. I'm hitting the JY tomm, they have about 15 rams, 94-97 there and dashes are only $20, so hopefully I'll get lucky.

Will try and get the heater core out, new in, and also change the water pump tomm. afternoon, if not I'll finish on xmas day.

Last edited by soloflite; 12-23-2011 at 06:27 PM.
Old 12-23-2011, 07:41 PM
working4ev
Professional

[QUOTE=soloflite;2675949]

Any chance of getting a picture of the other side??

$20 for a used dash I should be so lucky.

Old 12-23-2011, 07:54 PM
soloflite
Professional

Here ya go, not too good, already had removed the heating ducts and top pad.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:24 PM
sk187
Professional

The hoses are not binding its just fine and has been for a long while, but yes probably a hack job.

My dash was disintegrating, and I had to snow plow that night. If I get a good dash somewhere along the line I will get it changed out.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:38 PM
mstephen89
Captain

hey solo, what all was involved in changing the dash, I will be replacing a dash in my truck in a few months. Mine is a 2000, but I'm sure they are basically the same.

Old 12-23-2011, 08:57 PM
Hjhf1500
Amateur

You're better off getting an aftermarket cover that glues to the old one,do you have an extended cab or a standard cab?All the ones that I've seen cracked were always in an extended cab truck.I replaced my dash in my 2001 with one from a 2001 standard cab.The one I got didn't have one crack in it and it sat for 3 years before I got the truck for parts.A month after I put it in my extended cab it started cracking.I think the extended cab flexes more causing the problem.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:16 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Hjhf1500
You're better off getting an aftermarket cover that glues to the old one,do you have an extended cab or a standard cab?All the ones that I've seen cracked were always in an extended cab truck.I replaced my dash in my 2001 with one from a 2001 standard cab.The one I got didn't have one crack in it and it sat for 3 years before I got the truck for parts.A month after I put it in my extended cab it started cracking.I think the extended cab flexes more causing the problem.
Actually, he's better off spending the money for an aftermarket reproduction of the dash top (not a cover) that's made of more durable material. There are plenty of threads here that detail them.

I wouldn't waste $20 on a junkyard dash. All you're doing is buying the same worthless POS you just removed.

Quick Reply: Heater Core Installation