2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Manual to power window/lock conversion

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 12:34 AM
romadramowner
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Manual to power window/lock conversion

Okay, i have a single cab that needs a new drivers door (much rust and dents) and both interior door panels are junk. I'm sort of odd and like my manual windows but got my hands on some great condition door panels with power options. I want to use them and am interested in upgrading to power options since i am rebuilding the whole frickin truck.

Now I can handle how to get the insides of the door squared away but am curious about the wiring from the cab to power the motors.

My questions are below:

Has someone done this wiring conversion before?

Do I need any wiring from the donor truck?

Any general advice to make it work best?

Old 12-22-2011, 01:11 AM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had a recent thread asking similar questions. Getting the sub wiring assemblies from a doner truck & adding the missing relays from the fuse boxes is a good start since the overall wiring harness is the same in all models sans the partial bits for power options that you could pull from the doner trucks.

Old 12-22-2011, 01:39 AM
romadramowner
Professional

So which part of the sub-harness should I steal from the donor? Where does it start and end? Can I just make a harness to the fuse box?

I am pretty good and working on this truck but wiring is something I haven't done much with.

I have to move my dash to replace the heater core and AC evap core so I will be under there already.

Old 12-22-2011, 03:01 AM
BangMx
Amateur

I did it. You will need the wiring harness for inside the door. The bolt hole locations are different between manual and auto but there should be holes for both already in the door. The interior panels are different between the two also.

Old 12-22-2011, 06:18 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

tatitup8 recently did this. PM him, and do a search. He had a thread going on .

Old 12-22-2011, 11:11 AM
romadramowner
Professional

Thanks. I have the panels and will soon have the doors.

Thanks, zman. I will do a search for his name. When i did a general search i didn't find a good thread on this subject.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:08 PM
romadramowner
Professional

BangMx,

Did the harness on the door reach all the way to the main harness and/or fuse box?

Old 12-22-2011, 12:11 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,273 Likes on 3,020 Posts

Door harness goes into the cab, just barely under the dash, there is another harness there that they plug into.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:23 PM
tatitup8
Veteran

As far as wiring goes, if your truck isn't presided for power locks and windows, you will have to get the harness out of a donor truck, (the wires that hook up under the driver side dash that has a black clip and the wires run up under the top of the dash) try to get a harness from the closest year model to your truck as possible, if not you might be doing some wire splicing. You'll also need the wire harnesses for both doors. Also, get some to close year models. I got all my wires out of a 2000 for my 99 and had to do little splicing.. Do you have the power window motors and power lock actuators? Im not gonna lie, it's a pretty tough job doing the conversion.

Old 12-22-2011, 12:32 PM
BangMx
Amateur

[QUOTE=romadramowner;2675015]BangMx,

Did the harness on the door reach all the way to the main harness and/or fuse box?[/QUOTE

When you open the door there should be a going into the cab. There also should be 2 plugs just inside the hole in the cab. You would plug the door harness right into that.

Quick Reply: Manual to power window/lock conversion