2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

rough runner

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2011, 12:09 AM
bigboytrucks61
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rough runner

help please! I have a ram 2500 with a 5.2l engine, in wet weather it wouldn't start so I replaced the distributor cap and rotor, this didn't help although they did need replacing, i then replaced the plug wires and plugs. the new plugs were pre gapped at .35 which is what specs called for, the old plugs were gapped at about .70. when it was put together it started right away but ran terrible.does anyone have any suggestions what to check? before the starting issue began ti ran great.I forgot to say that the truck is a 1994 with a 5.2 magnum engine. any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.

Old 12-23-2011, 03:17 AM
vpnavy
All Star
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome Aboard bigboytrucks61! Stay tuned - a Technician (or member) will jump in shortly to provide a possible solution. In the meantime, don't forget to browse Sub-Forums: Ram for stuff related to your ride.

Old 12-23-2011, 10:54 PM
master tech
Site Moderator & Tech
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 92 Likes on 78 Posts

Welcome to DF
I would start with a compression test, running test, dry test and then wet compression test. I will move your post to the 2nd Gen Ram section, some of the members may have other ideals.

Old 12-23-2011, 11:15 PM
P1NKST@FF
Professional

Does it stay running for long? Drove my truck home on 7 cylinders one night and did all the same replacements as you just described. However it is very easy to get the wires one cylinder off and the motor will still atempt to run... Could also be a sensor

Old 12-23-2011, 11:20 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bigboytrucks61
help please! I have a ram 2500 with a 5.2l engine, in wet weather it wouldn't start so I replaced the distributor cap and rotor, this didn't help although they did need replacing, i then replaced the plug wires and plugs. the new plugs were pre gapped at .35 which is what specs called for, the old plugs were gapped at about .70. when it was put together it started right away but ran terrible.does anyone have any suggestions what to check? before the starting issue began ti ran great.I forgot to say that the truck is a 1994 with a 5.2 magnum engine. any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Did you route the wires per the TSB? Our truck are very particular.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...lug-wires.html

Old 12-27-2011, 09:57 PM
bigboytrucks61

I think I found the problem. when we removed the distributor cap to check the timing we discovered that the rotor was destroyed, the contact strip had broken off, and the cap is scraped up. we are going to replace them tomorrow and see what happens.thanks for all of the input

Old 12-28-2011, 12:58 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Others have had difficulty getting rotor positioned correctly. If it is off, it will not oush far enough on the shaft - and crater. Souble check cap to make sure it is undamaged!

Hope that fixes the problem!

Quick Reply: rough runner