2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Sct help/questions

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2011, 03:23 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can email sean and he can send you some less aggressive canned tunes. Sometimes this happens.

However, i would go with name brand gas. They put additives in their gas.

I use Sunoco 93 (alternates are Phillips 66/Conoco 93 and Valero 91 or 93). Have been for years. The lowest name brand I would go with is Citgo. They are the cheapest name brand. Valero is the largest refiner in the US. Sunoco is top quality, and Phillips/Conoco has good additives for cleaning.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:24 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

UPDATE: Sean got back quick. Great customer service.

Anyway, here is what was said for future reference (if anybody ever searches ):

-----Original Message-----

Sean,

Got the SCT tuner a few days ago. First off, thank you for the quick shipping.

Now when I recieved it I loaded the 93 tune and my truck pinged really bad. I then loaded the 91 tune and it still pings, but not as bad. It does not ping on the 87 tune.

I would like to run the 91 tune. I have been running 93 gas for over a year, so I don't think current octane is the issue. Now, I have changed to a 192* for the better heat in the winter.

Would the 192* stat be what is causing the pinging with the 91 tune running on 93 gas? Should I go back to the 180* stat and "bite the bullet" on better heat? I really like the power of the 91 tune so I don't want to de-tune from that. I currently am running the 87 tune due to the ping issue.

What do you recommend for this?

For referance:
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.2L Auto

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Josh

---Seans reply---

if it pings with 91 tune and 93 octane gas my thought is its more of a leaking plenum issue. If you already have fixed ur plenum gasket but never seafoamed the engine afterwards it'll still have a bunch of carbon deposits built up on the pistons. Run a can of sea foam through there and then change the plugs. The bottle will say to use the brake booster vacuum line to suck 1/2 the bottle in to the cylinders and let it sit an hour before cranking. The 180 stat is also needed

Ok, so the plenum has been fixed, so I guess I'll do what he says and see what happens then. And no I did not mention the "pure" gasoline. I didn't think it was neccessary, as I probably will not be getting any more of it.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:26 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kejobe
UPDATE: Sean got back quick. Great customer service.

Anyway, here is what was said for future reference (if anybody ever searches ):

-----Original Message-----

Sean,

Got the SCT tuner a few days ago. First off, thank you for the quick shipping.

Now when I recieved it I loaded the 93 tune and my truck pinged really bad. I then loaded the 91 tune and it still pings, but not as bad. It does not ping on the 87 tune.

I would like to run the 91 tune. I have been running 93 gas for over a year, so I don't think current octane is the issue. Now, I have changed to a 192* for the better heat in the winter.

Would the 192* stat be what is causing the pinging with the 91 tune running on 93 gas? Should I go back to the 180* stat and "bite the bullet" on better heat? I really like the power of the 91 tune so I don't want to de-tune from that. I currently am running the 87 tune due to the ping issue.

What do you recommend for this?

For referance:
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 4x4 5.2L Auto

Thank you in advance for your time and help.

Josh

---Seans reply---

if it pings with 91 tune and 93 octane gas my thought is its more of a leaking plenum issue. If you already have fixed ur plenum gasket but never seafoamed the engine afterwards it'll still have a bunch of carbon deposits built up on the pistons. Run a can of sea foam through there and then change the plugs. The bottle will say to use the brake booster vacuum line to suck 1/2 the bottle in to the cylinders and let it sit an hour before cranking. The 180 stat is also needed

Ok, so the plenum has been fixed, so I guess I'll do what he says and see what happens then. And no I did not mention the "pure" gasoline. I didn't think it was neccessary, as I probably will not be getting any more of it.

After I fixed the plemum in my 98, I ran countless bottles of Techron plus through thegas and it cured that problem and a missfire it was having due to carbon on the valve seats.

Old 12-24-2011, 10:24 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker

This what your refering to? Would Seafoam work also? Or this would be better?

Old 12-24-2011, 11:24 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

Seafoam is instant. Get a can of that and do this:
1. Start the engine
2. Unhook your brake booster tube from the check valve on the booster.
3. Pour the WHOLE CAN down the tube SLOWLY. Slowly meaning that you don't stall the engine. It should take a good 5 mins.
4. When the can is gone, REV the engine a lot., you will see WHITE SMOKE. Stop revving when the smoke is not really bad (It will be very bad trust me, ensure no neighbors are outside).
5. Throw a bottle of that lucas fuel treatment (upper cylinder lube) in a full tank. Top off the tank eveny time it gets to 3/4 tank. That stuff works best over time.

After a month you will be PERFECT.

P.S. I run seafoam every year and I run 2 ounces of lucas upper cylinder lube at every fillup. My lucas is in my cupholder :P

Old 12-25-2011, 12:14 AM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya 180 stat , and I reccomend autolight plugs 3923 or stock champ plugs

Old 12-25-2011, 12:48 PM
DodgeLooney00
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does the SCT tuner have the ability to trick the CPU about a CAT delete?

Old 12-25-2011, 01:35 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by DodgeLooney00
That Im not sure of. If it is possible, I would assume it would fall under custom tunes for an extra $100. Be cheaper to do the spark plug non-fouler trick thats in the FAQ section.

Old 12-25-2011, 04:19 PM
J415
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Nope...

Old 12-25-2011, 08:30 PM
CPTAFW163
Champion

No, but this does. it goes in place of your after cat O2 sensor. I put it in my 1996 that had a hollow cat and not only did it get rid of the code, but my engine ran smoother. A bit better gas mileage too.

http://www.thefastman.com/o2simm.php
75 bucks for an O2 simulator. It gives the PCM "good readings" that would otherwise be "bad readings" if you do not have a cat. You can splice it dorectly to your wiring harness but i preferred to splice it to the connector of my O2 sensor then connect it to the post cat O2 sensor connector. THat way i did not need to cut the stock harness.

Very easy. Just don;t install it in your precat O2 connector....you will have problems.