2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Aftermarket Tail light Question

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 06:31 PM
MD Dodge
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cthulhu
I wouldn't even run them until you get coloured bulbs for them. Liability if someone rearended you would be huge!
Yeah I took them off and am running stock taillights again until I get the lights.

Originally Posted by Ram_King
go with the led lights that autozone and o reillys sells
Haven't checked them out yet. I went into my local advance auto/NAPA/Walmart and they all no longer sell colored brake lights because they're illegal. I'm going to order a set of Red LED brake light bulbs, and set of Amber LED turn signal bulbs from Recon soon.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:04 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram_King
go with the led lights that autozone and o reillys sells
Ditto, thats what those lights are designed to use they are like $2 online at places like ebay...

Old 12-27-2011, 12:48 AM
beeker
Captain
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by CPTAFW163
Don't run white lights. You are gonna need red bulbs, although they look more orange (when looking at the bulb).

I have a smoked setup for my Harley. You need colored bulbs.

Also, you miught want to look up to see if you need yellow for your blinkers.
There's no ambers on the rear, just a red stop/turn and white reverse.

Originally Posted by MD Dodge
Yeah I took them off and am running stock taillights again until I get the lights.

Haven't checked them out yet. I went into my local advance auto/NAPA/Walmart and they all no longer sell colored brake lights because they're illegal. I'm going to order a set of Red LED brake light bulbs, and set of Amber LED turn signal bulbs from Recon soon.
You will have hyper flash when you install LEDs in the tail lights. You can correct this in two ways. The simple way is to replace flasher with an electronic flasher module model EP27L (verify pin configuration). You can get it here
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...2Fflashers.htm
Or you can splice in a load resistor to the wiring in the brake lamp harness on each side, these suckers get HOT!!! so be careful where you mount them.

For the LED's you could try these, either the 18 or 45-SMD, Should probably use the 45 as you have a clear lens instead of the red difuser lens. They will spread the light in more directions. I'm using a set of cool white 18SMD for reverse and they look real nice and very bright, even helps when backing in dark areas.
http://www.superbrightleds.com/cgi-b...315x-x18-T.htm
they are exactly like the PUTCO 360* 18-SMDs that I bought a while back, they are good and bright with super fast on off. I still have the PUTCOs if you want em, couldn't use them as they seem to make my LED light bar controller go haywire due to there being such a light current draw. Give em to ya for $20 include shipping. They are PUTCO 3157, 360degree, 18SMD, RED in box. PM me if interested.

Autozone has an electronic flasher, but the one they sell starts with a long flash which is annoying enough, but the click sound it has is obnoxious and will drive you crazy and you'll end up throwing it away anyhow, you could try it though.

Last edited by beeker; 12-27-2011 at 01:54 AM.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Tail light Question