2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Complete front end overhaul '96 2500

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 10:37 AM
skwerl
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Complete front end overhaul '96 2500

Hey guys, first post here. Been trying to read as much as I can on the subject but I have a few questions. I just bought a '96 2500 4x4 Dana 60 5.9 gas well used truck. Pretty sure all the linkage is shot up front because this thing is all over the road. Tiring and dangerous to drive. The truck is all stock except for slightly larger tires. No lift.

I was looking at Rock Auto for parts and notice they have a lot of Raybestos products I need. I did want to upgrade a little from stock. Are most of the Raybestos line for the front end a good choice ? Never seen to much written about them here as far as tie rods, and a few other things I need.

I just need to get this thing ready for alignment and inspection very soon. I will also be putting a Redhead steering gear on. Probably go with a Moog track Bar. Another question is is there a need for an adjustable track bar if the truck is not lifted ? Thanks for any help.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:46 AM
offroadjosh
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Doing the same to my truck. Heard alot o bad about moog. I personally am going all XRF. I have heard nothing but good about XRF. Great price too. Check out tire club(search in google) and also check out XRF chassis. You will probably have to call tireclub and talk to them, thats how you get the best price.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:42 AM
newman1367
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[quote=skwerl;2677339] Pretty sure all the linkage is shot up front because this thing is all over the road. Tiring and dangerous to drive. The truck is all stock except for slightly larger tires. No lift.

quote]

By slightly larger tires, are they wider? You can replace everything in the steering and have the same problem. I only say this because, you say "you're pretty sure", but didn't say you jacked up the front and looked for play in any of the steering components.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,385 Likes on 3,125 Posts

Make sure you check the steering box as well. That's prolly where most of your slop is.

Old 12-26-2011, 12:04 PM
skwerl

Hey Josh, thanks for the link. I tried looking earlier this weekend but their site was having some problems. But yeah I definitely like the XRF products from what I've read.

Hey newman, The tires on there now are LT 265/75R16. I did lift the truck. Tires side to side are terrible. Tie rods shot. There is no play up and down but I want to replace ball joints while doing all this. Haven't decided on bearings and seals yet. Sway bar bushings are shot. Sway bar links are shot. I couldn't feel any play in the track bar but I didn't have anyone available to turn the steering wheel for me. But I want to go ahead and replace because I don't want the shop to have ANY reason to turn this down.

And as I said I want to contact Redhead and get a steering gear from them and I am going to order a new Borgeson steering shaft from Genos.

Hey You,,,,, There is also play in the steering box. That weas the first thing I check. Poor ole truck has just been run hard and neglected, but I got a great deal on it knowing a lot of these problems were there. So a little at a time

I know the tire size on there now is kind of obsolete and I think they are fading that size out. But I can't afford new wheels and tires right now so I'm trying everything I can do to get the wnadering out of the steering. I will probably be putting new tires and wheels on in another month. I will have the shop rotate and balance these tire before they inspect. So I think that's all I can do. I will write up a list of all the parts I'm getting ready to order and see if you all may have any other suggestions

Last edited by skwerl; 12-26-2011 at 12:08 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 12:45 PM
skwerl

This is HD 8800 GVW truck....... Parts I am thinking of getting

BORGESON STEERING SHAFT, 950 - ('95-'02)............................... 270.00

Redhead Steering Gear...................425.00 - 125.00 core...............300.00

XRF Front Right Inner To Pitman Arm ES3249RT............................ 44.11
XRF Front ; Right Outer DS1309............................................ ....... 125.94
XRF Tie Rod End Adjusting Sleeve x2............................................ 44.44
Greasable anti-swaybar bushings x2............................................. 17.99

Ram Heavy Duty MaxxLinks x2................................................ ..... 94.50

http://www.thetireclub.com/ShopByVeh...6+Arms&mode=PA Can someone explain the difference between part # ES3248 and
part # ES3248RT

And any suggestions on a track bar would be great.

Last edited by skwerl; 12-26-2011 at 01:01 PM.
Old 12-26-2011, 01:04 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by skwerl
This is HD 8800 GVW truck....... Parts I am thinking of getting

BORGESON STEERING SHAFT, 950 - ('95-'02)............................... 270.00

Redhead Steering Gear...................425.00 - 125.00 core...............300.00

XRF Front Right Inner To Pitman Arm ES3249RT............................ 44.11
XRF Front ; Right Outer DS1309............................................ ....... 125.94
XRF Tie Rod End Adjusting Sleeve x2............................................ 44.44
Greasable anti-swaybar bushings x2............................................. 17.99

Ram Heavy Duty MaxxLinks x2................................................ ..... 94.50

http://www.thetireclub.com/ShopByVeh...6+Arms&mode=PA Can someone explain the difference between part # ES3248 and
part # ES3248RT

And any suggestions on a track bar would be great.
If I looked at it right it would appear the design is a tad different and manufacturer is different.

Quick Reply: Complete front end overhaul '96 2500