2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

sonar projector headlights problems

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2011, 08:01 PM
Lone136
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Angry sonar projector headlights problems

OK, I have read the few treads on this, but mine still don't work right and now that I have intalled my plow light's don't work right. I know we have a switched ground on our trucks. I did the changer the black and blue wire around and still the same problem. The high/low beam light is still on in the truck. The lights will not go from high beam to low beam and now my plow lights do the same. Where to start to get this repaired the right way. It's driving me mad now that I haven't been able to repair this problem. I didn't hold up the LED's or the haylows at this point until I have the lights working as they should

Last edited by Lone136; 12-26-2011 at 08:02 PM. Reason: Mis spelled word
Old 12-26-2011, 08:20 PM
lastrights
Grand Champion
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had to re wire my lights

Old 12-26-2011, 09:03 PM
Lone136
Veteran

The way the plug come wired is theres a blue wire (hot) for the low beam, then two ground wires (one each for high and low beams) then the red (hot) wire for the high beam. What I did was cut the red wire about an inch from the plug. Take that red wire thats still to the light and splice it into the blue wire. Once you do that, cut the ground (black obviously) to the high beam off right at the plug, MAKE SURE ITS THE ONE TO THE HIGH BEAM, or youre screwed cuz it will be way too short to fix. Then connect that ground wire that ya just cut to the red wire in the plug. Thats it! sorry if I made it sound complicated but its actually a rather easy fix. Heres a pic for an idea of how it should look. Hope this helps guys!

Now this sounds right, but not sure. Just found this on another sight

Old 12-26-2011, 09:50 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

What was the original bulb for your truck? 9004 or 9007? You've got to know that before going any further. The plug is exactly the same, but the wiring varies for each.

find a wiring diagram for the correct bulb to determine which position in the harness is the ground position.

Put the terminal with the 2 wires connected to it into the ground position and experiment with the other two feeds swapping them until the lights work correctly. The double wire is the ground for both the high and low beams (it's a common ground) and the other two are positive feeds for the high and low beams respectively.

If the lights won't ever turn off, you have the ground in the wrong position.

Last edited by aim4squirrels; 12-27-2011 at 07:55 AM.
Old 12-26-2011, 10:11 PM
Lone136
Veteran

Well, my truck isn't the Sport and if I remeber right it was a 9004 bulb. I'm sure it wasn't the 07. It only had one bulb and now I have 2. I will have to get the color of the wires tomorrow after work, so until them good night all and I do hope everyone here had a Very Marry Christmas

Old 12-26-2011, 10:44 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Lone136
Well, my truck isn't the Sport and if I remeber right it was a 9004 bulb. I'm sure it wasn't the 07. It only had one bulb and now I have 2. I will have to get the color of the wires tomorrow after work, so until them good night all and I do hope everyone here had a Very Marry Christmas
yup I have the same lights and they are wired for the 9007 sport series trucks (even though they are not advertised as so)...you have to swap two wires around...I dont remember which but if you search "projector" and go back about 2 years you will find the thread with directions on which two wires... (actually I think the advice above is correct on which to switch)

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-26-2011 at 10:46 PM.
Old 12-30-2011, 07:33 PM
Lone136
Veteran

Well, the rewire worked so now I have head lights. I ordered HIDS to go in them and low and be hold I ordered the wrong bulbs. So now I ordered the right ones and they should be in next week. I hope that install goes better then the projecters

Quick Reply: sonar projector headlights problems