2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Performance, MPG Saver Chips?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 04:14 PM
Pronto Hauling
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Performance, MPG Saver Chips?

I did a search before posting this and did find a few answers but I would like a little more input from yous guys who have experience with these. I've been looking at chips with my main interest being gas mileage. There are a plethora of different chips out there which claim to increase HP, throttle response MPG, and yada yada. I just purchased a 96 ram 2500hd 4x4 to use as a work truck and for now also my daily driver. I love the truck as far as performance and towing, but not so much for MPG. Im getting about 9 MPG currently. My last truck was an F150 with inline 6. She got about 16 MPG. My question is are these chips a complete waste or do any of them actually do anything for gas mileage? Here's a link to one I was looking at. http://performancechipsnow.com/Dodge...00%201994-2011

Old 12-28-2011, 04:21 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

First, have you determined the condition of your plenum gasket?

If not, then any chip/tuner is moot.

Vdub -- where are ya?

Old 12-28-2011, 04:23 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

there is no magic bullet, man..

you're not too far off from normal.. you could likely get the maybe three or four MPG's back by doing some work... namely: plenum fix, plugs/wires/distributor cap/rotor button, and timing chain.. new oil, new or cleaned air filter, and that is about it..

you should see somewhere around 12 after that.. Then, you can consider an SCT tuner from Hemifever for around $265.. you may squeeze another 1/2~1MPG with it, but likely not- but you will appreciate how much better your truck runs..

edited to add: invest in a vacuum gauge, and watch it whilst you drive.. keep as much vacuum as you can- in other words, only use enough pedal to get the job done, instead of using too much.. you'll likely see a considerable jump by simply changing your driving style.

Last edited by drewactual; 12-28-2011 at 04:38 PM. Reason: ninja'd by White.. White: you ninja'd me!! :), and to add:
Old 12-28-2011, 04:32 PM
Jimythefan
All Star
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

All those fuel saver chips are designed to do one thing only.

Separate you from your hard earned cash.

The factories would be installing them if they raised MPG like that.

Old 12-28-2011, 04:40 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Let's not forget, aside from a couple of upgrades like fuel injection you are basically have an engine that was designed in the late '60s as the LA318, the LA340 (which I personally think was the best of them) and the LA360. Fuel economy wasn't exactly at the top of the engineer's list back then.

These "chips" are snake oil and all basically use a resistor to fool the PCM into thinking it's running a bit cooler, forcing a bit more fuel into the A/F mix. The result is a tad (like 1-2) more HP and how they can come off saying fuel economy will increase is beyond me, since a richer mix means more fuel dumped. If you read the reviews of these "chips" you see the vast majority feel they were taken!

A true TUNER is a nice upgrade and both the SCT and Superchips will give a nice little performance boost and possibly a LITTLE better fuel economy, but should NEVER be purchased solely with getting better MPGs in mind, if so it'll never pay for itself.

Best thing you can do is keep an eye on the plenum gasket and repair WHEN necessary. Keep the thing tuned up, use synthetic fluids wherever you can and keep the tires inflated to at least 80% of the rated PSI. This is a 3/4 ton, heavy, 4x4 truck and as I've said, basically designed in the '60s. If taken proper care of it should last you a long time (transmission aside, LOL), but it is what it is...

Old 12-28-2011, 04:40 PM
Pronto Hauling

Thanks you guys for your replies. You confirmed my suspicions about these things. I have fresh oil and filter, new air filter and all that. Not sure about plugs. I have not looked at the plenum gasket. I see that come up alot on the 2nd gen rams here on this forum so it is something I will be looking into. Thanks Again!

Old 12-28-2011, 04:49 PM
Pronto Hauling

Originally Posted by HammerZ71
Let's not forget, aside from a couple of upgrades like fuel injection you are basically have an engine that was designed in the late '60s as the LA318, the LA340 (which I personally think was the best of them) and the LA360. Fuel economy wasn't exactly at the top of the engineer's list back then.

These "chips" are snake oil and all basically use a resistor to fool the PCM into thinking it's running a bit cooler, forcing a bit more fuel into the A/F mix. The result is a tad (like 1-2) more HP and how they can come off saying fuel economy will increase is beyond me, since a richer mix means more fuel dumped. If you read the reviews of these "chips" you see the vast majority feel they were taken!

A true TUNER is a nice upgrade and both the SCT and Superchips will give a nice little performance boost and possibly a LITTLE better fuel economy, but should NEVER be purchased solely with getting better MPGs in mind, if so it'll never pay for itself.

Best thing you can do is keep an eye on the plenum gasket and repair WHEN necessary. Keep the thing tuned up, use synthetic fluids wherever you can and keep the tires inflated to at least 80% of the rated PSI. This is a 3/4 ton, heavy, 4x4 truck and as I've said, basically designed in the '60s. If taken proper care of it should last you a long time (transmission aside, LOL), but it is what it is...
Thanks for the pointers. It makes total since that these things get crap gas mileage. Like you said these engines were designed back in the day, aside from the fact that my truck was made in 96 when gas was 99 cents a gallon. And im with you on the transmission. I can see into the future now. Im almost sure the first major problem i'll have with this truck will be tranny problems.

Quick Reply: Performance, MPG Saver Chips?