2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Stops revving after 50MPH?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 10:22 PM
SweetTooth
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stops revving after 50MPH?

Recently I just realized at exactly 50MPH my truck just stops revving.

It'll jump into 1st, 2nd.. ect, then at 50 it'll just stop. Then I'll step on the gas and it will slowly increase, but when I do that my truck will make a load rev, quiet, loud, then increase speed slowly.

I mean, I've had no issue with my transmission. I'm not sure if maybe this has something to do with air flow, vacuums.

I'm mostly certain my truck has a blown plenum, clogged cat. I just haven't had the time to fix it.

I'm just wondering if there is a reason my truck stops giving power at 50mph

Old 12-28-2011, 10:31 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

clogged cat.. almost certainly..

Old 12-28-2011, 11:06 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

Try removing the precat O2 sensor and see if it runs faster/better

Old 12-28-2011, 11:24 PM
SweetTooth
Rookie

Do I remove the sensor completely, or just unplug it?

Last edited by SweetTooth; 12-28-2011 at 11:27 PM.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:28 AM
mrfarrell
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

remove it completely

Old 01-17-2012, 09:57 PM
SweetTooth
Rookie

I tried to follow where the connecter goes to, but I couldn't get that darn thing off. I didn't wanna force it off. It was hard to get in there without the truck being up alittle bit. I don't have jacks, so I might have to wait for a bit.

Recently it changed how it would rev. I would go about 40mph, the truck would rev up to 50 then just stop revving. Then after that it'll be a very slow accelerate and then it would be fine when I hit 65. But when I press on the gas the truck will rev loudly then start taking off. But it just sounds wrong, like it's putting a LOT of load on the truck just to accelerate a little.

Someone also mentioned a clogged fuel filter might be the cause? I'm gonna go get a Fuel Pressure gauge soon and see what I'm reading.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:01 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

Originally Posted by SweetTooth
I tried to follow where the connecter goes to, but I couldn't get that darn thing off. I didn't wanna force it off. It was hard to get in there without the truck being up alittle bit. I don't have jacks, so I might have to wait for a bit.

Recently it changed how it would rev. I would go about 40mph, the truck would rev up to 50 then just stop revving. Then after that it'll be a very slow accelerate and then it would be fine when I hit 65. But when I press on the gas the truck will rev loudly then start taking off. But it just sounds wrong, like it's putting a LOT of load on the truck just to accelerate a little.

Someone also mentioned a clogged fuel filter might be the cause? I'm gonna go get a Fuel Pressure gauge soon and see what I'm reading.
you dont need to disconnect it from the plug/wire. just unthread it out of the pipe and zip tie it away from the pipe.

and for the fuel pressure test: the pressure should be somewhere from 45-50 psi.

Quick Reply: Stops revving after 50MPH?