2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Annoying Squeak

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2012, 08:53 PM
Ham Bone
Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Annoying Squeak

So i have had this annoying squeak for a little while now. I think its related to the belt system somehow because it gets worse when the engine revs. Its not too loud but it is annoying. Fairly new serpentine belt is on the truck.

Also, my water pump died on me the other day and i had to replace it, squeaking is still there

I spun all the wheels on the front end of the engine and they all spun well enough to my knowledge when i was changing the pump.

I also took one picture

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 3666
Size:  187.9 KB

Truck is a 2001 1500 with the 360

Putting the lower radiator hose back on was a pain in the butt

Old 01-17-2012, 09:08 PM
sam_priem
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

it sounds like your tensioner pulley may not be holding the belt down tight enough causing the belt to slip and squeak.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:10 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

Originally Posted by sam_priem
it sounds like your tensioner pulley may not be holding the belt down tight enough causing the belt to slip and squeak.
And i can go about changing that how?

Old 01-17-2012, 09:18 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

the tensioner pulley is the one to the far left of the engine (passenger side) take the 3 bolts off that are holding your ignition coil on(right next to the pulley). take the ignition coil off and the pulley should just come right off. remember the pulley goes BEHIND the ignition coil mount otherwise the pulley would be crooked and the belt would come off.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:21 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

the tensioner pulley is the one to the far left of the engine (passenger side) take the 3 bolts off that are holding your ignition coil on(right next to the pulley). take the ignition coil off and the pulley should just come right off. remember the pulley goes BEHIND the ignition coil mount otherwise the pulley would be crooked and the belt would come off.
So replace it? Is there anyway to check it first?

Old 01-17-2012, 09:34 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
So replace it? Is there anyway to check it first?
first check to see if the bearing has any play(something i always do when i work with pulleys). if it has no play then the spring may not be strong enough to keep the belt from slipping. im not sure if you can just replace the spring alone or not. to test it, take a regular size 3/8 drive ratchet with a 14mm socket and see what kind of resistance it has. if it doesnt put up much of a fight and the spring feels weaker than it should be replace it. rockauto.com has one for about $30.

Old 01-17-2012, 09:41 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

first check to see if the bearing has any play(something i always do when i work with pulleys). if it has no play then the spring may not be strong enough to keep the belt from slipping. im not sure if you can just replace the spring alone or not. to test it, take a regular size 3/8 drive ratchet with a 14mm socket and see what kind of resistance it has. if it doesnt put up much of a fight and the spring feels weaker than it should be replace it. rockauto.com has one for about $30.
When i took the belt off and put it back on it seemed strong enough. Worth a second look i guess

Old 01-17-2012, 09:58 PM
sam_priem
Veteran

Originally Posted by Ham Bone
When i took the belt off and put it back on it seemed strong enough. Worth a second look i guess
theres 3 things i can think of that would make noises like that, bad tensioner, bad belt, worn out pulley bearings. worn bearing usualy make a growling or rattling noise, not usualy a squeak. and since you said you replaced the belt, i would move to the tensioner and check that.

Old 01-17-2012, 10:31 PM
Ham Bone
Champion

Thanks. Also. After changing my water pump my fan now refuses to blow any air out of my vents except for the ones under the windshield on the dash. Any idea what that could be?

Old 01-17-2012, 10:34 PM
SweetTooth
Rookie

Does your belt squeak dry? Constant noise?

Mine only does it when it's wet.

Quick Reply: Annoying Squeak