2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

4 channel amp with tweeters

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2011, 04:28 PM
mstephen89
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yea i would go with a passive external crossover, but depending on what kind of head unit you have you may be able to use the crossover built in. You would have to dedicate 2 channels for the tweeters only, and then 2 channels for the kappa's up front, and 2 channels for the rears. Perhaps run the rears off the radio rear channel, and then use the 4 channel amp for the kappa's and tweets.

Old 12-30-2011, 09:25 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by mstephen89
yea i would go with a passive external crossover, but depending on what kind of head unit you have you may be able to use the crossover built in. You would have to dedicate 2 channels for the tweeters only, and then 2 channels for the kappa's up front, and 2 channels for the rears. Perhaps run the rears off the radio rear channel, and then use the 4 channel amp for the kappa's and tweets.
well since he is likely using all four amp channels already and has the crossovers that came with the tweeters he should be fine just wiring them in parallel with the closest speaker (+ to + and - to -)... I run two amps in my ram...one for the sub and one for the mids/highs...its a cheapy but it has built in crossovers and I cut out the lows because the sub handles them..this allows me to crank it up with less distortion.

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 12-30-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 12-31-2011, 02:44 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unless you're going for the perfect sound, a 10 dollar set of bass blockers will do the same thing as the crossovers in my 300 set of components. If all he is wanting to do is cut the bass out of them, the prewired one he has on there will get the job done. As far as the wiring in series or parallel goes, It drastically changes when you go beyong single voice coils. I scratched my head for an hour trying to figure out a set of quad voice coils one time lol.

Old 12-31-2011, 12:43 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 97tn4x4
Unless you're going for the perfect sound, a 10 dollar set of bass blockers will do the same thing as the crossovers in my 300 set of components. If all he is wanting to do is cut the bass out of them, the prewired one he has on there will get the job done. As far as the wiring in series or parallel goes, It drastically changes when you go beyong single voice coils. I scratched my head for an hour trying to figure out a set of quad voice coils one time lol.
you just have to pay attention to what the ohm load of each coil is and cut it in half for each additional coil thats wired in parallel or double it for each one wired in a series... Its not really an exact science to determine actual load on the amp but it gets you close. you can actually mix things up by wiring some in a series and some in parallel to modify the ohm load on the amp..

Old 12-31-2011, 01:15 PM
redheadhunter21
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok iPad was dead and computer is useless so I wasnt able to get on and read all this good info.....for that I'm sorry

Now just to give an idea on what I got going on.
1. I have the stock infinity tweeters in my front doors running off the radio power.
2. I have aftermarket tweeters in the back of the cab by the seatbelt running off of the rear speaker power from the radio
3. Front door speakers are 6x9 kappas and I'm running those off of the amp
4. Rear speakers are reference series 6.5 and those are run off the amp
5. 4-channel us acoustics 4065 amp, I was told it was a 60 or 65 watt amp per channel, it was free and started the whole thing. Wire is all 16 gauge speaker wire, except for 8 gauge wire powering amp

Now it is all done already and I'm having a problem I listen to it and it sounds great until I turn the radio up to 40 then it freaks out and starts with a high pitch screech then goes quite and does repeatedly till I shut the power off....any ideas....amp too small

Quick Reply: 4 channel amp with tweeters