2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cheap/Easy tuneups for 97 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2012, 01:50 AM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Boring? Have to check prices at machine shop in your area. Not the same everywhere. And it is a waste of money if you haven't checked plenum. And if timing set is original, then it is overdue. Check the things listed above. If plenum gasket is blown, add new cat to the list. These things will put some punch back in it. And when that is all done, look at 1.7 HS roller rockers and hemifever tune. I think you would be happy with all this done - - and saved a bunch of money as opposed to boring the engine. And as you tear down to bore, you will have to fix plenum and timing anyway!

Old 01-08-2012, 09:35 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Wade2233
Would it be smart to bore out my engine, Idk much about that at all and what effects could that have, I have heard that increases power. Also how much money are we talking when this is done?
the same as rebuilding an engine for the most part but I wouldnt go to the shop by yourself if this is something you actually have the kind of money to do. I'm going to guess this is your first vehicle and you havent been driving long?
Most shops see a 16 year old kid come in wanting is engine bored out for more power. They are likely going to take advantage and quote you more than someone who just needs a rebuild and seems like they are more experienced in knowledgeable of thier options...or they arent going to take you seriously because your a kid and figure your one of those dreamers with no clue.
This is one of those times when an older guy who can "Talk shop" and seems to know a bit can be helpful to bring along.
and rememberthe down sides, After spending all that money its still a 11+ year old truck and isnt likely to blow the doors of any Hemi out there...and when you want something new in a year dont expect to make your money back.
ps dont forget the tranny will need beefingup to hold up to the new motor.. hell I'd save for a tranny buildup anyway unless its just been done with the way your going to be pushing it...they arent too steller in these trucks

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 01-08-2012 at 09:44 AM.

Quick Reply: Cheap/Easy tuneups for 97 Ram