2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

started custom console build

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2012, 06:49 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default started custom console build

I started building a custom center console today. I made a ton of progress, all I have left is to figure out where I'm going to put the cup holders, put the lid on a hinge so I can actually use the inside storage space I built into it, fiberglass it, and paint it to match. I took a lot of pics of where I'm at on it right now. But I won't be able to post any pics until Monday unless someone wants to be nice enough to give me their email address and post the pics for me

Edit: sorry I thought I was in the general discussion section.

Last edited by BackwoodsRam; 01-07-2012 at 07:22 PM. Reason: oops
Old 01-07-2012, 10:07 PM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have you done glass work before? I have worked on TONS of vette's in my autobody days. If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:38 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

Naw i've never worked with fiber glass before. Any tips?

Old 01-08-2012, 05:37 AM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great ventilation is key, many cancer causing chemicals in that stuff. As it cures, it puts off lots of heat, I have started paper on fire by laying it on a piece as it was curing. Bubbles are the enemy. Get a fiberglass roller or make 1 - look them up on ebay or hit up a local auto body supply shop. The roller will give you great results if you roll the bubbles out in the first 10 minutes of curing, & use it while you are applying layers too. I use cheap welding wire to make a basic metal frame, then lay layers over it to create the overall structure. If you have large flat areas, put some small metal screen between the wires so the glass wont sag in odd directions as it cures. You can also use some MDF board to make a basic frame then cover it in layers of glass. The steel wire thing works great for ground effects & wings & scoops, the MDF will be easier for an interior console your first time out. It is also a little cheaper. In normal warm weather it takes from 6-10 hours for the resin to cure. Cold weather means maybe 24 hours. Do not add too many layers at once or it will bubble up during the curing after you put it aside to take a break. Be patient & do 1 flat area at a time. There are many kinds of resin to cure it with. I would say the standard resin & not the stuff used for making molds, that stuff has no flex to it after drying & wont last long without cracking after it has been done for a while. Use a mask when you cut or grind it. Wear clothing that wont get washed with anything else you or your family likes because it will stay around for several washings & make you scratch. Do not be afraid to use some body filler before painting or adding fabric to it, but avoid bondo brand anything if you want it to turn out good. Use a poly based filler. I use Zgrip, it is relatively cheap & dries fast & is easy to shape. I usually see it for 30-35 per gallon with a tube of hardener. Figure out how you are going to want to fasten it down. Consider the mounting points. Also make certain to leave proper room for the seat belts to move around some. Some internally threaded rods or metal spacers at those points being part of the console from the start will be a good idea. There are also lots of DIY fiberglass vids on youtube if a visual aid helps. If you come up with specific questions ask away. I am happy to help.

Old 01-08-2012, 11:47 AM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

I've already made the whole thing out of particle board, should I still put wire mesh over the particle board?

Old 01-08-2012, 12:20 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I have 20 yrs exp working with that S*** I also can give you tips if you need them. I have made a few pails of resin catch on fire for S & G's, mix it to hot and things will go wrong in a hurry. One tip is the glass cloth will not roll over a 90 degree or sharp edges so use a router to take the sharp edges off. There are lots of different types of cloth's/matting you can use, which one are you planning on using.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:37 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

I know nothing about working with glass. I though id just be able to use the kits they sell at AutoZone

Old 01-08-2012, 12:41 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I wouldn't mind posting the pics for you via my PB account. Let me know unless someone took care of ya. Or your good to wait later.

Old 01-08-2012, 12:43 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

thanks Merc for posting those pics for me.

Edit I don't know why it took that long for my post to show up

Old 01-08-2012, 12:51 PM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Then I would most defiantly do some practice runs on just wood not your project. Most defiantly cheaper to go to a body supply shop to get your resins, hardener and cloth, tell the guy what you are doing and he should be able to pass on some info as to what products to use. I was in the marine end of things and I am a old f*** so I am sure there are better products out there know. Gloves are a must so is the right mask, even if you are working outside wear a mask please, the fumes are also absorbed through the skin so wear long sleeve shirt as well. If you can get your hands on a white monkey suit wear it as well.

Edit:These are what I used to build and fix. That one is the last one I helped build.

Last edited by merc225hp; 01-08-2012 at 01:01 PM.

Quick Reply: started custom console build