2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

lift springs and shocks!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 02:06 PM
blackoutdodge
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lift springs and shocks!!

ok so i have 11 inches of lift atm, 3 of it being body lift. im looking for some cheap shocks that will actually reach out that long not sure what kind or brand. and also looking to add another 3 or 4 inches of lift to run some 42's.. wondering if coils for the gas 2500s are the same as the 1500s. thanks for any advice or answers!

Old 01-10-2012, 03:59 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Cant help with your question, sorry. But, I was just wondering, How many tranny's you have gone through so far with 37's, and how many more you think you will blow running 42's with 3:55 gears?

Old 01-11-2012, 09:57 PM
blackoutdodge
Rookie
Default hahaha

luckily none, planning on getting 4.88s till i find some decent d60s lol. the truck is a little sluggish but i tell you what i beat the tar out of the truck and it will dish out what ever i give it. but i have gone through two hubs so far.... thanks for the help

Old 01-12-2012, 07:50 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

do not run any more lift on your current axles. by you pics it doesent appear that you have long arms for your front end. if you do have them good. if not then get some. with out them you screwing up you suspension geometry big time. if you want to run bigger tires(i wouldnt, i run 37's and break axles just driving down the highway) then trim your fender wells. the D44 is not strong enough to run 42's. however, if you go ahead a get them then expect to replace ball joints and hubs on a monthly basis. id wait until i found a set of D60's if i were you. i dont know how much you know about the offroad world, and i dont want to sound like a dick here, but if you're asking questions like you intial post it cant be much. there is alot more involed in running 40+ inch tires than "a few more inches of lift". 40+ tires are heavy and with a 3.55 axle ratio you will destroy your trans. running 37 you are already greatly decresing its life span. if your truck is a DD then you mpg's will probably drop to about 5 or 6. with that much lift you have to almost redesign your suspension, because the stock one will not work/ be safe with tires that big. you will also run into issues with steering. our gear boxes wernt built to handle the extreme stresses that will be put on it. id hate for you to have to go to prison for vehicular mansalughter because you snapped a Ball Joint going down the road and kill some family just because you want bigger tires. i also forgot the np231 T-case that is in your truck will grenade under the stress from 42's.

do yourself a favor. before you worry about 42's
1. find a set of D60's or better yet a set of rock wells if your truck is not a DD
2. gear them in the 5.3-5.8 range if you want 42's that badly
3. find a 4x4 shop that speciallizes in suspensions and have the design you a new suspension that will be set up for your 42's
4. upgrade your steering to full hydro steering
5. get a level 3 mega viper trans from PATC and tell them the truck has 42 inch tires when you order it
6. upgrade to a much more stout transfer case like an atlasII

after all that you may be ready for 42's.

once again i apologize if i came off as an *******

edit to awnser the original question, the coils are the same diameter between gas or diesel, and you will have to call a shop such as topguncustomz and they will be able to get you some shocks

Old 01-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

doo eeeet blackdodge. Better yet, put 42s on D44s. Jeeps do it all the time.

Old 01-13-2012, 12:51 AM
97tn4x4
Record Breaker

Oddly enough some people can get away with 42's on a 1500 and not break a thing. The biggest factor is how you drive. On a another note, with 3.55's and 42's he's not gonna put enough torque to the axles to break them lol. Personally I'm alot easier on my truck then i used to be and I'm very careful when i do go play. Considering I've already geared my axles theres no point in buying a new set of axles to just to regear them. I'm going to buy a manual hub kit, chromoly shafts and joints, as well as truss the front end. That IMO is plenty, the OP could do something very similar and run a 40" tire IF he wasn't a total lead foot on rocks with lockers lol. I'd go hydro assist, full hydro is a bit much for that size tire IMO depending on his usage of the truck. OP can you post a couple pics of your rig?

Old 01-13-2012, 01:29 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

all i was trying to get at is that it will be more expensive then the cost of new tires and a few pieces of a lift

Old 01-15-2012, 11:27 PM
blackoutdodge
Rookie

i was hoping to break somthing so have an excuse to upgrade which now i do cause i snapped my transmission in half lmfao. i dont give a **** about the truck much just a play toy. gonna eventually get into serious lift and get the ******riggin out of it.

Quick Reply: lift springs and shocks!!