2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cracked Dash. My turn.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2012, 08:42 PM
de8212
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cracked Dash. My turn.

I finally ordered the LMC dash for my 99 Ram. Should be here tomorrow but I won't get a chance to mess with it for a few weeks probably.

So, I'm trying to learn as much as possible about this project beforehand. I have searched and will continue to do so but have some questions.

I haven't found any really good details about removing the airbag. I have seen a copy/paste from a manual but was hoping for some pictures and comments from someone that has done it before.

Since it ill be a few weeks would it be OK to go ahead and remove as much of this as possible to save time? Like the glove box and air bag? I don't really drive the truck very often and if I do it's with the kids and they are in the back seat. Any issues?

I also got the bezel and the reinforcemnt kit. Not sure exactly how the reinforcement kit installs. Anyone ever get one?

So, when all is said and done and I rotate the dash forward, that's when I can access the screws that are installed from the windshield side? I assume I will barely be able to get a hand in there. How many are there?

Any other info/details/pictures are greatly appreciated.

BTW got a call from UPS today to set up deilvery and they said they are brining it in 45 ft 18 wheeler. You would think it could just go in a regular brown truck.

Old 01-04-2012, 08:50 PM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

gdstock recently did a dash replacement, he's the man to talk to!

Last edited by stewie01; 01-05-2012 at 05:33 AM.
Old 01-04-2012, 09:03 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

May want to think about changing the heater core while you have the dash out. That way you won't have to pull it again later.

Old 01-04-2012, 09:14 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Mine was not LMC, but process should be the same.

Disconnect battery first.
On the center hump there is a cover with 2 scres. It holds the airbag module. Disconnect the cable connector from it.
Remove bezel - there are about 10 clips or so holding it in. Use a thin flat putty knife or screwdriver.
Remove the knee panel from beneath the steering column. Two scres and a couple of molded clips. Pry out from top.
Disconnect the gear shift indicator cable on the column.
Remove the two bolts holding the column and let it come straight down.
Remove glove box.
Remove screws holding airbag (4 or 5 of them, accessible from glove box hole.
Reach around and disconnect wire to airbag.
Airbag can then be pulled out of dash,
Remove the screws across the windshield - I think there are 5 of them.
Loosen the hinge screws (one on each end of dash near the bottom at the side wall.
Rotate dash down and tie off to keep it from dropping off.

POST PICS!

Old 01-04-2012, 09:40 PM
mstephen89
Captain

hey definately keep us posted about the quality of the dash, alot of people are interested in this budget friendly dash from LMC

Old 01-04-2012, 11:41 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I also want to know about the LMC. I bought mine from http://sandkindustries.com/DASH.html for $289 with lifetime warranty. It was pretty heavy duty and solid. I am very pleased with it.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:30 PM
de8212
Professional

Got the dash in today. It looks really nice but since I'm used to the atrocity Dodge put in my truck maybe I'm biased.

I ended up getting it delivered to my work so it'll sit in my office for a week or so until I have time for this project.

I got bored in the driveway today and had a few minutes to spare so I was looking into how the glove box comes out. Don't make too much fun of me but I don't see how exactly it's connected in there???? I took off a small panel right above it and see some screws but it has to be connected near the bottom, right?

Old 01-05-2012, 08:31 PM
de8212
Professional

Ohm and thanks for the steps gd, I appreciate it. you sure make it seem striaghtforward. I'm not good with projects like this. Hopefully it works out well.

Old 01-05-2012, 08:43 PM
mstephen89
Captain

hey does it come with the two defrost vents that point toward the side windows, and does it come with the seals that go around the a-pillars, just curious?

Old 01-05-2012, 09:26 PM
de8212
Professional

I can check tomorrow mstephen. I just looked at it real quick while the UPS driver was there to make sure there wasn't any damage.

Quick Reply: Cracked Dash. My turn.