2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

spark plugs

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 02:18 AM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default spark plugs

I am looking for input & opinions on types of spark plugs please. I have done more than a small amount of modifications to all kinds of cars & trucks over the years since I also used to do the custom auto body thing. About 12 years ago, I put bosch platinum plus 4 plugs in a V6 camry I used to own. Within 10 months, I had to rebuild the engine due to holes in the tops of all the pistons. My engine rebuilder told me that any plug with extra crap on the end - E3 also for example, will give hotter performance, but they also act as a glow plug, so they can ignite the incoming mixture before the piston is in the right place aka pre-detonation. Since then I have avoided plugs with the extra meat at the end to avoid the glow plug affect. I have been using denso iridium plugs in all my vehicles for about 6 years so far & have had good luck with them so far. I have seen other threads that say magnum engines are not too good with them in there. I installed them yesterday with a fresh tune up & oil change. Seems to run strong but I like to know if there is any issues I should be aware of. I like denso as a brand & have come to despise all things from bosch, airtex & monroe from enormous amounts of negative experiences both personally & in cars I have worked on for others. Any input you guys have would be appreciated.

Old 01-11-2012, 04:20 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

IIRC, I think Unreg. has or had Denso Iridiums. Ive used them before and loved them. But, never in the ram. Everyone says to use Champion, but I never cared for them, so I use NGK V-power plugs.

Old 01-11-2012, 05:51 AM
stewie01
Legend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm running plain jane AutoLite copper. Running great so far.

Old 01-11-2012, 09:30 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by kejobe
IIRC, I think Unreg. has or had Denso Iridiums.
NGK Laser Iridiums that are spec'd for a Honda L engine and gapped at .058" are what I'm running, with a coil that's much higher voltage than stock. Whether or not I'm seeing any actual benefit at all from this setup is anyone's guess but it works just fine.

The benefit I'm seeing in theory is avoidance of misfires and more consistent charge ignition at the 6458' elevation at my garage door. Whether or not it's there and worth the expense I cannot say. I figure that if I actually get close to 100,000 miles out of the plugs then I'll benefit from less time spent under the hood -- if I can avoid the urge to periodically remove and inspect the plugs, which seems unlikely.

If I lived at a lower elevation I'd just run a stock coil with Autolite 3923's, NGK V-Powers, or plain Jane Champion truck plugs and be done with it. There's really not much if anything at all to be gained via ignition system modification (on a small block Magnum) unless you're pushing the engine well outside of the conditions it was designed for, or, perhaps, spending a lot of time at higher elevation where it's harder to light the fire. You can spot the elevation where that consistently happens by seeing where 93 octane is no longer available and most stations top out at 87 octane.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:07 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by UnregisteredUser
NGK Laser Iridiums
Thats what it was. I remembered the Iridium part though.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:29 PM
peshewa
Veteran
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the input guys! I am mainly concerned with any damage to the engine given what I experienced with the plus 4 plugs. If the denso iridium plugs are not known to cause issues, I am a happy man. Now if I could just get a new tranny & driver's door as cheap as the plugs were, I'd be even happier!

Quick Reply: spark plugs