2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Plenty of evidence of plenum problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 10:47 PM
woodtrucker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did see what looked like some ash around the spark section of the plug. I really don't see alot of leaking around the valve covers though. I will replace the pcv when i do the plenum mod and definitely pressure test the cat and if it's bad she'll be gutted!

Old 01-11-2012, 10:56 PM
woodtrucker
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Let me clarify. The butt end of the thread as it transitions down to the electrode had what looked like a chunk of ash i think. With as much oil that was on the plug it made me think it was more like sludge but i'll have another look. It was coated pretty well with carbon on the rest. I will pull the TB to get a closer look in the plenum and see if i see more oil in the back before I tear it down completely and fix plenum. I just wasnt sure if that much oil around plug fit the description for blown plenum! Thanks guys.

Old 01-11-2012, 11:06 PM
bwdakrt
Record Breaker
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by woodtrucker
Let me clarify. The butt end of the thread as it transitions down to the electrode had what looked like a chunk of ash i think. With as much oil that was on the plug it made me think it was more like sludge but i'll have another look. It was coated pretty well with carbon on the rest. I will pull the TB to get a closer look in the plenum and see if i see more oil in the back before I tear it down completely and fix plenum. I just wasnt sure if that much oil around plug fit the description for blown plenum! Thanks guys.
That 'ash' on the plug tip is burnt oil. Depending on how long the 1.5 qt/1K consumption has been going on you're probably going to need to replace the O2 sensors and hopefully the cat is not clogged. You are getting into some expensive parts when you have to replace those.

Quick Reply: Plenty of evidence of plenum problem