2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

E-fan power issues w/ big stereo.

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2012, 08:06 PM
a-master
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-fan power issues w/ big stereo.

First of all, z-man, I used the search feature . I have done my homework, and it seems that a Grand Cherokee fan(s) is what I want to go with due to lower amp draw/cfms, etc. However, I run a 1200w amp with dual 12in Alpine Type-Rs that dim headlights. I have in the mail, two 2 gauge wires for the connection from the batt to the alt, and batt to the chassis to help with this. I'm wondering if I should up the alt to the 200A on ebay, just to be safe if I'm bumpin' some jams, blowin' A/C, and the fan(s) decide to kick on when it's 100 degrees outside.

EDIT: running the 136A currently

Old 01-11-2012, 08:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

I don't think that would hurt you any....... Just your amp at full volume is going to be pushing your current alternator....... (although, I would like to think you don't always have it maxed out.....)

Old 01-11-2012, 08:28 PM
a-master
Veteran

Originally Posted by HeyYou
I don't think that would hurt you any....... Just your amp at full volume is going to be pushing your current alternator....... (although, I would like to think you don't always have it maxed out.....)
Sounds like one for yes. I agree. The fuse for the amp is 125A. lol.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:39 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you don't have one, a farad cap. will help also. I'd look at the bigger alt., bigger battery, and the cap..

Old 01-11-2012, 08:41 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

go big on all wiring and alternator too.

maybe consider a dual battery setup like RV's where the alternator charges both batteries but the electronics can only drain one and then preserve the other for the engine, starter, pcm. i don't know if this is possible in our trucks or not but it sounds good.

Old 01-11-2012, 08:47 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Originally Posted by dhvaughan
go big on all wiring and alternator too.

maybe consider a dual battery setup like RV's where the alternator charges both batteries but the electronics can only drain one and then preserve the other for the engine, starter, pcm. i don't know if this is possible in our trucks or not but it sounds good.
Very possible. And a very good idea too...... (I bet with the engine off, that stereo can suck the battery dry damn quick. Yes, this is my 240 horsepower generator for my stereo, it conveniently moves the stereo around too.......)

Old 01-11-2012, 09:07 PM
a-master
Veteran

Very possible. And a very good idea too...... (I bet with the engine off, that stereo can suck the battery dry damn quick. Yes, this is my 240 horsepower generator for my stereo, it conveniently moves the stereo around too.......)
I'm gonna see how quick one day when I'm at the farm with our instant starter at 3/4 volume.

it conveniently moves the stereo and my butt around too

Old 01-11-2012, 09:44 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

it won't take long to drain the battery with that big amp. and be aware that draining a regular battery all the way down will kill it.

consider using a deep cycle marine battery. match the size, shape, amps, etc and it's design can tolerate drain down and recharge. they can also be cheaper - which makes no sense.

Old 01-11-2012, 10:10 PM
chadhager03
Captain

Ehh it should last a little while, I have two tens with a 1000w amp and I've ran it on only the battery for over an hour. The truck turned over slowly but it did start. It was on pretty loud because I was washing the boat next to the truck. Had to give the battery a good charging after that though lol

Old 01-11-2012, 10:12 PM
chadhager03
Captain

Marine battery's don't last as long, could be the circumstances. Because we got four years out of ours and the boat mechanic was surprised how long it lasted (maybe he was trying to sell us something to preserve them)

Quick Reply: E-fan power issues w/ big stereo.