2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Serious Diesel Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2012, 12:32 AM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

the 95 would have the parts to make the swap simpler.

Old 09-11-2012, 02:02 AM
horatio102
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FYI the core support off a gas truck will work fine. My 2500 12-valve has the proper spark plug gap EPA sticker on the core support...

Old 09-11-2012, 12:33 PM
Jigabop
Champion
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EvanBoothe123
is there anyway to use my axles?
Simply put, NO!

don't even try to use a D44 and D60 with a 6BT cummins.. it will rip the gears right out of those axles. "You don't know the power of the dark side!"

Diesels are ridiculously easy to double their factory hp and torque...Do not underestimate their power, or they WILL rip your gears to shreds without hesitation.

You need a Dana60 front and Dana80 rear with 8 lug hubs. do it right or don't do it at all. I've seen and heard of many cummins trucks ripping their dana 70 rear ends apart.

Originally Posted by Firewalker
I have a simular project, I am about to purchase either a totalled 98.5 or a 95 ram with either the 24 or 12 valve. being that i get the whole truck, it has everything except the body. I would like to do the 24valve, but would that create double the work?

All going into a 1990 250 4x4 with a 360 gas motor.

I have enough to purchase a totaled truck but cant really afford a new truck. At 7-8mpg what do i have to lose?
get a loan trade your truck in and get a complete 24v. if you like full mechanical get the 24v anyway and convert it to the P7100 pump.

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
the 95 would have the parts to make the swap simpler.

depends on what year truck he is starting with...

98+ trucks have slightly different interiors and gauge clusters than pre-98 trucks so gauges would not swap over.

as for others claims that swapping in a diesel ain't worth it/go with a v10: you have never had a cummins diesel...believe me, they are worth it! unlimited power potential and extremely overbuilt engines that can take tons of abuse...not to mention when they are built and having injector issues and smoking like a coal train, they are STILL getting better fuel economy than a gas v8...

Old 09-11-2012, 01:41 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Jigabop
depends on what year truck he is starting with...

98+ trucks have slightly different interiors and gauge clusters than pre-98 trucks so gauges would not swap over.
exactly which is why it would be way simpler to use the 95. the sensors from the 95 are exact same as the sensors that would already be in the 90 so you could plug them right in. the only thing you would have to do is bring the computer over and wire it in so that the transmission would shift into overdrive.

Quick Reply: Serious Diesel Conversion