2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Whirring and check engine light

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2012, 08:56 PM
Bad Dodge
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Whirring and check engine light

Hey all, new here. I used the search but not really finding much in the way of being the same issue. I have a 97 Ram 1500 4x4 with 177k on it. I had the tranny rebuilt around 10k ago. Been running fine most of the summer but am having issues again and am getting tired of putting money into it. Might just sell it and be done with it! Anyway I am getting a whirring noise in all gears without it moving. At first I thought it was something with accelerating but it isn't. Also the check engine light has been on now. I am taking it in this weekend to be checked and the guy didn't seem to think it was related to the tranny but it also isn't wanting to take off unless you step on it. Does anyone have any ideas? I have had this truck for 1.5 years and most of it it has been either waiting for money to make repairs or it has been having repairs done. I really like it but am at my wits end here! Thanks, Stephanie

Old 01-12-2012, 08:59 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Did you check the fluid level. Engine warm and running in neutral.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:08 PM
Bad Dodge

Yes, fluid is full.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:19 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker

Rebuilt 10k ago, what kind of warrenty did they give you? If by chance its still under I'd take it back. Thinking maybe the pump, but I'm not too familiar with tranny internals. I could be wrong though. How sure are you its coming from the tranny?

Last edited by kejobe; 01-12-2012 at 09:23 PM.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:32 PM
Bad Dodge

Tranny has no warranty. It was rebuilt in school as a project. I am not at all sure it is coming from the tranny. The fact that it does it as soon as it is started whether in gear or just park is odd. It used to do it in every gear except park and neutral and now it does it in all.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:43 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker

Might want to start it, and when its making the noise have someone hold the brake while you try to isolate exactly where its coming from.

Old 01-12-2012, 09:52 PM
Bad Dodge

We have tried that and I can't pinpoint it. I also find it odd that even though it makes the noise without stepping on the gas that it doesn't want to move without revving up. Hoping to find out tomorrow it is a cheap fix, otherwise we may have to part ways. I have almost as much into it as I paid for it! :/

Old 01-12-2012, 10:00 PM
kejobe
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by Bad Dodge
We have tried that and I can't pinpoint it. I also find it odd that even though it makes the noise without stepping on the gas that it doesn't want to move without revving up. Hoping to find out tomorrow it is a cheap fix, otherwise we may have to part ways. I have almost as much into it as I paid for it! :/
Thats whats making me think it may be the pump. Just thought, have you adjusted the bands? Could be slipping.

Old 01-12-2012, 10:32 PM
Bad Dodge

No. Tranny work is way beyond me.lol Am I getting into a lot of money if it is the pump, do you know?

Old 01-15-2012, 02:20 PM
Bad Dodge

I would like to thank you for the help! Was the tranny pump and I sold the piece of crap!

Quick Reply: Whirring and check engine light