2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1999 dodge ram 1500 will not stay engaged in 4 wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2019, 11:09 PM
Spencer Ferguson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 4x4 disengaging while driving

Originally Posted by CandC
I was wondering if anyone had any idea of whats wrong with the 4 wheel drive, It goes out of gear well driving?
I have changed the vac lines, actuator and front axle non of this seems to help!
Did you ever figure out what was wrong? I am having the same problem!

Old 12-24-2019, 07:11 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,393 Likes on 3,133 Posts

Originally Posted by Spencer Ferguson
Did you ever figure out what was wrong? I am having the same problem!
Is the front axle disengaging? (lite goes out) Or is the T-case dropping out of 4x4?

Old 12-24-2019, 08:34 AM
Spencer Ferguson
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
Is the front axle disengaging? (lite goes out) Or is the T-case dropping out of 4x4?
light goes out while driving so 4x4 disengages then light comes back on and 4x4 reengages.
I’ve replaced vacuum pump and vacuum lines . I’m getting 25 - 35 hg at the actuator

Last edited by Spencer Ferguson; 12-24-2019 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-24-2019, 02:56 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Did you replace the metal lines as well? Mine rusted out......

You are getting REALLY good vacuum though, can you monitor it while the problem is actually happening?

Old 12-24-2019, 10:38 PM
00t444e
Captain
Received 44 Likes on 43 Posts

Pull the actuator off slide the fork over and permanently lock it in place.

Old 12-25-2019, 12:29 AM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I pulled all my vacuum actuator stuff out on my 1996 Ram 1500 and put in a perm-lok, and have never looked back.

http://www.alloyusa.com/permanent-di...am-pickup.html ($60.00)

http://4x4posi-lok.com/app_dodge.html (part #1100).

I also replaced the shift fork. Check this out below - I go into a little more detail:

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ml#post3162272

Last edited by armynurse; 12-25-2019 at 06:28 PM.
Old 12-25-2019, 10:01 AM
Moparite
Grand Champion
Received 388 Likes on 365 Posts

Did you replace the metal lines as well? Mine rusted out......
Mine the rubber fitting on the end where it goes on to the cad let water into it and rusted up the inside of the tube. No vac was getting to the cad, If this happened you may not be completely blocked but not getting enough vac to keep the cad in position. If you are getting the wild vents the vac is dropping out witch wont help. You may be showing good vac at idle but when accelerating it will drop out. You may want to replace the check valves on the vac lines.

Old 12-25-2019, 10:04 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by Moparite
Mine the rubber fitting on the end where it goes on to the cad let water into it and rusted up the inside of the tube. No vac was getting to the cad, If this happened you may not be completely blocked but not getting enough vac to keep the cad in position. If you are getting the wild vents the vac is dropping out witch wont help. You may be showing good vac at idle but when accelerating it will drop out. You may want to replace the check valves on the vac lines.
On my 96, The vacuum fitting at the axle would allow moisture into the lines, and it froze........ so, when I yanked back on the expensive stick, nothing happened...... Had to park the truck in the garage, point the jet-engine heater under the truck, let it run for a while, then blow out the lines....... I used zip ties to get the vacuum fitting to seal better.

Old 12-25-2019, 06:41 PM
armynurse
Veteran
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They stopped that two-piece axle cr@p on the Jeep XJs, ZJs, and TJs; but I don't know why at the same time they continued it on the Gen 2 Ram 4x4s. Minimal (if any) improvement in MPG with the two-piece axle design. If there was an improvement in MPG, don't you think Jeep would have kept the CAD in those models?

At best, it works "ok" when everything is working right, but there are too many parts to the CAD system - in that if any part stops working, the whole thing doesn't work. Even when mine was working right, there would still be a slight delay from when I pulled the lever to when the 4x4 light came on (especially if I hadn't used 4WD in a while). And sometimes that delay time (even if just a few seconds) was critical.

I'm telling you - get the perm-lok (see post #16 above). No more getting stuck because you can't get the front axle to engage. No more laying in the snow trying to find out where your vacuum leak is. No more tracing vacuum lines for cracks/leaks. No more heating-up your frozen lines and then trying to blow them clear to get your 4WD to work. No cables to pull (like the similar but more expensive and complicated posi-lok). And probably most important, no more wondering if it'll engage when you really need it.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pos-400/overview/ (the more complicated and expensive Posi-lok - if you really feel the need to have your front axle shaft separated at times)

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/pos-1100/overview/ (the one you want - the cheaper and simpler Perm-lok)

http://www.alloyusa.com/permanent-di...am-pickup.html (an even cheaper place to get the Perm-lok)

And I'm running a true-trac in the front axle - even with the perm-lok you don't even know it (true-trac) is there in 2WD.

Last edited by armynurse; 12-25-2019 at 07:03 PM.
Old 12-25-2019, 07:15 PM
2bit
Record Breaker
Received 35 Likes on 34 Posts

I have the posi-lok 1100 in my truck. The axle shafts are splined to the hubs and turn all the time anyway. I think it's the best fix short of buying a free spin kit.

Quick Reply: 1999 dodge ram 1500 will not stay engaged in 4 wheel drive