2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Dashlight/taillight shorts when brake applied

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 06:19 PM
Jrichards05
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dashlight/taillight shorts when brake applied

I had a remote car starter installed in my 2001 dodge ram a month ago and everything was working fine but recently I started having problems with my dashlight/taillights. If I start the truck with the key, they won't come on at all. If I start it with the starter, they work but shut off as soon as I touch the brake pedal.
Any ideas as to what is going on?
Also, this may or may not be related but around the same time as the problem started, I had a broken tail light & pig tail replaced but I checked all the wiring and everything works fine and I can't see any problems with it.

I have checked all the fuses and they are all fine as well.

I took it to a local shop and they charged me $112 for the 1st hour to have a look and couldn't find the problem, they said they needed more time & $$$$.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:25 PM
jasonw
Site Moderator
Dodge Forum Moderator
Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

What brand of remote start? Hopefully you got a good one, cheap does not equate to good with a remote start. They are not all created equal.

A shop install it or did a friend?

Talk to the shop that installed it, if a shop did the work. There is usually a warranty associated with these things. If a friend... have them remove it, see if the problem goes away. If it does, then it was installed incorrectly.

Oh, and find a different shop for diagnostics. Mine doesn't charge me unless they find the problem.

Old 01-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Jrichards05
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's a compustar and it was supposed to be a really good quality starter. I had a friend install it and he's a mechanic but he's out of town right now, otherwise I would have gone to him directly. Thanks for the advice so far

Quick Reply: Dashlight/taillight shorts when brake applied