2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Cold Start Barely Start

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 04:18 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

We have kegs for manifolds, so you need a lot more starting fluid than the average old school motor for instance.

And maybe just a shot in the dark, but. Try aiming a hair dryer at the PCM for a while and see what it does.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:37 PM
Joey-D
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Before I can more forward, as much as I hate to admit, I think today no start was caused by being out of fuel. I am a car dealer, I only put $5-$10 in the tank at a time. It said there was a 1/16 of a tank. I pulled the fuel pump, took it apart, and reinstalled it. The fuel I had in the bucket I went ahead and put in the tank (from the shed), about 2 gallons. After a hunch, I put another 2 gallons in her. I primed the rail by 12v power, not the key. She pulled 49 psi and held it. Plugged the fuel pump back into the truck and she started right up and held 49 psi. But the fuel gauge, after adding 4 gallons, was below empty now. I am stumped that she would have no driveability problem, only starting problems with no fuel. I guess I will put $20 in her and try again when she is cold tonight. I still think I will have a hard start problem and I think I have cleared up the no start problem.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:39 PM
Joey-D

Thats my finger moving, not a sputtering fuel pump.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:50 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Joey-D
Before I can more forward, as much as I hate to admit, I think today no start was caused by being out of fuel. I am a car dealer, I only put $5-$10 in the tank at a time. It said there was a 1/16 of a tank. I pulled the fuel pump, took it apart, and reinstalled it. The fuel I had in the bucket I went ahead and put in the tank (from the shed), about 2 gallons. After a hunch, I put another 2 gallons in her. I primed the rail by 12v power, not the key. She pulled 49 psi and held it. Plugged the fuel pump back into the truck and she started right up and held 49 psi. But the fuel gauge, after adding 4 gallons, was below empty now. I am stumped that she would have no driveability problem, only starting problems with no fuel. I guess I will put $20 in her and try again when she is cold tonight. I still think I will have a hard start problem and I think I have cleared up the no start problem.
Ahh that also explains you not wanting to do a tuneup.... times are tough.

Old 01-25-2012, 04:51 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Volume looks REALLY low though.......

Being out of gas would tend to make it hard to start......

Old 01-29-2012, 12:33 PM
drainman

Check your computer ground wire that runs along the intake manifold and grounds where the battery grounds to the block.Mine was broken and just touching the connector. when it was cold, it separated but worked when it was warm. the wire barely reaches it so I had to extend it to make the new connection. It was an intermittent issue. It would not show up on any diagnostic.

Quick Reply: Cold Start Barely Start