2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

1996 Ram Starting Issue

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 08:32 PM
Nick13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 Ram Starting Issue

I have a 1996 ram 2500 5.9l v8.
The issue I am having is when I try to start the truck the starter will keep going without the truck actually starting. The only way the truck will fire is if I give her some gas. After I give it gas while starting I have to continue to feed it gas for about 30 seconds to a minute in order for it to idle by itself without stalling out. Even when I stop giving it gas it idles very low (about 200 rpm) but gradually rises. Once i drive my truck for a little while there is no problem. When I try to start the truck after turning it off it does start but if I wait to long I have to pump the gas again.

This happens the same whether it i -45 degrees C or +5.

Thanks for reading and any suggestions are appreciated!

Old 01-25-2012, 08:40 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

IAC is freaking out. Either slow to react, or, the well is all clogged with crap.

Try removing the throttle body (disconnect battery first), pull the IAC out of the back, and then clean it within an inch of its life. Just wipe off the pintle on the IAC motor itself, as attempting to move it may break it...... Reassemble everything with a new TB gasket (2 bucks at the parts store), hook the battery back up, turn the key to on, count to ten, start the motor. See what happens.

If that doesn't help, replace the IAC motor.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:33 AM
Nick13

Originally Posted by HeyYou
IAC is freaking out. Either slow to react, or, the well is all clogged with crap.

Try removing the throttle body (disconnect battery first), pull the IAC out of the back, and then clean it within an inch of its life. Just wipe off the pintle on the IAC motor itself, as attempting to move it may break it...... Reassemble everything with a new TB gasket (2 bucks at the parts store), hook the battery back up, turn the key to on, count to ten, start the motor. See what happens.

If that doesn't help, replace the IAC motor.
Thank you very much. I cleaned the IAC and now my idle is back to normal and starts a lot better.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:09 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Awesome!

Old 01-27-2012, 05:54 PM
michigan_boy96

I'm having the same exact problem. At times my truck won't even idle on its own, I have to keep my foot on the gas and manually idle it for around a minute before it will idle on its own, what is the "IAC"?

Old 01-27-2012, 06:00 PM
PapaG
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

IAC stands for Idle Air Control. It's a solenoid mounted on the back of the throttle body.

Quick Reply: 1996 Ram Starting Issue