2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

What should I do with my oil?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 02:53 PM
otgarzā
Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ive used fram as well in the past with no problems. Now ive been using mobil 1 and bosch. And i know that my local walmart has mopar filters but ive never bought one.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:53 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Yeah according to most people, but like I said I have never had a problem with them so I will continue to use them.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:58 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
I would have just got a high mileage filter to go with your synthetic. I use the Mobil1 Synthetic and it claims its good for up to 12k miles and I use a Fram Xtended Guard good for 10k miles. Flame me if you choose but I have NEVER EVER had a problem with any of Frams products.
How exactly would you know? did you cut them open and check if they came unglued when you replaced them like many who have tested them found? its one of those areas where marketing can overcompensate for poor performance because people rarely stay consistent long enough in use or keep the vehicle long enough to see the effects these days... bottom line since so many better quality filters are avaliable for the same price its just DUMB to risk using them.
there have been many independant studies on oil filters and all of them have rated fram very low...
they are cheap garbage with an old name brand on them that was bought and used by third party manufactuers under license from the honeywell company... the same guys that bought and closed down Autolite and now have the plugs made by third party manufactures in mexico taiwain and china... they even say "manufactuered in china under license from the honeywell company designed by autolite in the usa" (funny part is they were designed by the autolite company BEFORE honeywell bought them and basically shut them down)....your just paying for a knockoff product with a nostalgic name for marketing.

Its been proven and documented the design and contruction of a fram oil filter is one of the poorest available today, made with glued together paper and cardboard thats prone to fall apart and not do its job (WITHOUT YOU KNOWING) but because you've been lucky so far and havent noticed any damaging effects you feel its a good idea to keep risking it?
It is your choice but I dont get your logic.... its got to cost you your engine before you'll switch...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 01-26-2012 at 03:15 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:01 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Awesome lets just go back and edit our post after the other guy has already replied, in turn making him edit his post to update it to yours. Like I said Fram has been used by my father for years so its what I just buy naturally. After doing a Google search I do see the shotty quality of Fram.

Last edited by MoparMan1991; 01-26-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:09 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

i would say the oil should be fine unless you got a cheap filter. if you are willing to spend the extra money to buy synthetic oil why not buy a quality filter that can last the length of the oil change.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Gary-L
Legend
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
i would say the oil should be fine unless you got a cheap filter. if you are willing to spend the extra money to buy synthetic oil why not buy a quality filter that can last the length of the oil change.
The problem is that Fram filters aren't Quality, but rather Kwal-i-tee.

That aside, enjoy this article: Synthetic Oil Life Study

Old 01-26-2012, 03:17 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by MoparMan1991
Awesome lets just go back and edit our post after the other guy has already replied, in turn making him edit his post to update it to yours. Like I said Fram has been used by my father for years so its what I just buy naturally. After doing a Google search I do see the shotty quality of Fram.
sorry I edited before I refreshed and saw the other posts after mine...
Honeywell like others who buy a well known name brand and close it down only to exploit the name and reputation just burn me up...levis jeans is another one.... they went under years ago and some company in egypt bought the rights to use the name.... do most people know they are made by a totally diffent company in another country now? nope...they buy cheaper thinner jeans at the same higher costs... because its a well known "trusted" brand...

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 01-26-2012 at 03:24 PM.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:20 PM
crazzywolfie
Legend
Received 71 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by VWandDodge
i understand. i use wix brand filters on my truck that are $2 cheaper than fram.

Old 01-26-2012, 03:38 PM
MoparMan1991
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by VWandDodge

That aside, enjoy this article: Synthetic Oil Life Study
I got bored with that article. What point were you trying to make with it?

Old 01-26-2012, 03:38 PM
Crackshot
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A good filter that has been tested and cut open is wal-marts supertech believe it or not.