2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Wet short maybe?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 12:32 PM
poupshaw
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet short maybe?

I've got a 95 Ram 1500 with the 360 an auto transmission. It drove fine until yesterday I stopped and turned it off to unload it and then all the sudden it doesn't have enough power to crank the motor. I jumped it and then got stranded again pulling in the drive way when it died on me. It acts like it has a short. With the key in the accessory position, the radio works fine and the headlights turn on and everything works how it's supposed to. Once you put the key in the on position(where it would be if it was running), all electrical power just goes away. The radio turns off, headlights won't turn on, and nothing else works. Funny thing is, its done this kind of thing before on my wife, so she let it sit a couple days and then it worked again. Both times it was during a heavy rainstorm. I think maybe water is pooling up somewhere and causing a wet short. I just kinda wanted to see if anyone else had this problem and where the short could possibly be.

Old 01-26-2012, 12:58 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

Check your battery connections.

Old 01-26-2012, 02:05 PM
poupshaw

I tried that. I cleaned of the terminals and put the battery on a trickle charger overnight. Its still doing the same thing

Old 01-26-2012, 02:23 PM
grox
Veteran

It sounds like it might be in the ignition switch (I think that's what you call it), since there isn't a problem in the accessory position but only when the key is in the "on" position.
If there were a short between the battery and switch and accessories it would be there regardless of key position. Check the wiring diagrams for that switch and see what is independent of the accessory on position for the normal on position, and check the operation of the switch itself for the proper voltages being continued.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:00 PM
poupshaw

My wife grandad told me to take a wire brush to it and put some tractor grease on it, an all of the sudden it's working

Quick Reply: Wet short maybe?