2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

94 ram cat question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:12 AM
Nortzy
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 94 ram cat question

I have a dual exhaus system on my truck it's like a flow master knock off from my local shop, but my cats leakin now and I get a random check engine lite since it started leaking, and it has random stall issues after revving, an I want to save myself the 350$ can I just cut it off and put a section of pipe in, I know it's not good for etest and all but will it set codes or run rough? Is there any way to rig up the o2 sensors? Thanks

Old 01-27-2012, 10:13 AM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Nortzy
I have a dual exhaus system on my truck it's like a flow master knock off from my local shop, but my cats leakin now and I get a random check engine lite since it started leaking, and it has random stall issues after revving, an I want to save myself the 350$ can I just cut it off and put a section of pipe in, I know it's not good for etest and all but will it set codes or run rough? Is there any way to rig up the o2 sensors? Thanks
a new high flow cat is 68 bucks on ebay.(as I found out from another member here)..you can get the bolt in setup with high flow pipes if you have the 2 in 1 cat setup for $186 shipped.

You will likely run rich if you weld in a pipe and do the fouler trick... better to just do it right you may even get better performance since the heat from a working cat helps scavenging effect. do a search on removing cat or bypassing cat... this gets asked every other day lots of info on it.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:54 AM
SpencerS
Captain

A 94 only has one o2 sensor. You can gut it and the truck will run the same. Ive had mine gutted for over 5k miles, it improved performance and she purrs like a kitten.

Old 01-27-2012, 10:55 AM
SpencerS
Captain

Oh and I have no codes.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:05 PM
Nortzy
Rookie

Ok thanks guys, and I tried the search but on the mobile app it brought up random stuff, I'll just go with a high flow, I'd punch mine clean but it's got a bad leak not worth welding

Old 01-27-2012, 03:21 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by SpencerS
A 94 only has one o2 sensor. You can gut it and the truck will run the same. Ive had mine gutted for over 5k miles, it improved performance and she purrs like a kitten.
thats great but the ram the op lists at owning is a 98 with 2 o2 sensors and uses a different system. I guess the question is which is it the 94 in the title or the 98 in the sig.... and you likely saw a performance increase becuase your old cat was either partially or fully plugged... high flow cat should actually help according to what I've read on the matter...
I've seen some people just clean the cats when they plug...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5icTmYItwiE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5BSwI0JNQc

Last edited by Augiedoggy; 01-27-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:04 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

has the plenum been checked also? No sense in spending money on a cat, just to have it get clogged.

Quick Reply: 94 ram cat question