2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

heater core and a worry

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 10:19 AM
king_moaoe
Rookie
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heater core and a worry

well im going to do a flush of my heater core today or tomorrow, but i have been reading form other posts that there is a danger of blowing it, or that corrosion when i remove the dirt will make it leak, is there anything i can do to make sure this does not happen? im going to use a garden hose with just about half pressure.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:42 AM
sam_priem
Veteran

i did a cooling system flush on my truck after i did my top half gaskets. i had the garden hose at full power and i had no problems with the heater core leaking.

Old 01-27-2012, 11:57 AM
UnregisteredUser
Grand Champion
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If busting the corrosion loose will make it leak, then it's a goner anyway.

Old 01-27-2012, 03:00 PM
supra300zx

I first flushed mine with a garden hose and had no problems, except that it didnt 'flush' any bad crud out. I've read on another thread of someone running CLR through it and letting it soak. I ended up just swapping mine out. The heater core replacement was only $50 and it was simple enough and took about 6 hours without removing the dash. There is a youtube video if you're interested (just cant post the link since im at work)

Good luck

Old 01-28-2012, 10:14 PM
king_moaoe
Rookie

well when you can, will you post the link? so many videos would like to know a good one

Old 01-28-2012, 11:28 PM
supra300zx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKpQGjsXA5M

I believe that is it, just cant confirm since im in the field for the next few weeks and youtube is blocked. Its not great, but decent enough you can walk yourself through it. he does miss a couple parts... I ended up knocking the transmission gear indicator (turns the gear orange in your gauge cluster) cable off the steering column and took me a while to figure it out. Keep an eye out for tolerances/cables as the dash is shimmy'd back/ The nice thing about the new heater cores is the inlet and outlet lines can rotate and this is primarily the reason you can do the job without removing the dash.

Quick Reply: heater core and a worry