2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Electric fan problem

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2012, 12:52 PM
99SLTdriver
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electric fan problem

I installed a Compressor Works 16" electric fan and a hayden 3647 fan controller from Oreillys a few months ago.I hooked it up to the ac compressor so it will come on with the ac compressor.I noticed the other day when I started the truck to warm it up that if i have the heat on defrost when the truck is cold the electric fan kicks on and off repeatedly.It will kick on and shut off after about a second or two.Then about 10 seconds later it will do it again.Over and over.But if the truck is at operating temp it doesn't do it.And it wont do it if I put the heat on the vents.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,390 Likes on 3,130 Posts

When you set your vents to defrost, it automatically enables the a/c compressor. Refrigerated air carries less moisture. (although, during the winter, ALL of the air is refrigerated in any event.....) Sounds like your a/c system may be low on charge.

Old 01-27-2012, 01:56 PM
HammerZ71
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't have mine associated with my A/C at all. There is already an electric fan on my A/C compressor. Mine is simply operated via the temp probe stuck in my radiator...

Old 01-27-2012, 02:10 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hammer, yours and mine have separate exchanges.. theirs have one unit that share..

OP- I would rec you DO disassociate your a/c from the cooling system- as Hammer indicates.. OR, I would rec you introduce another e-fan that toggles with the same switch from your controller.. you can run directly to the battery for power, but make certain it is fused and relayed.. POOF- problem gone..

one of the things that can cause you grief is that the e-fan, while the condenser is operating, will run the cooling fan before the engine reaches operating temperature, which will cause you to run cooler than you're going to want (p1281)... It likely won't happen in the summer, but it absolutely can in the winter..

Old 01-27-2012, 03:04 PM
99SLTdriver
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah I think I will disconnect it from the compressor.I dont like how it kicks on and off like that.Thanks guys.

Quick Reply: Electric fan problem