2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

dash panel swap what saves the milage?

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 02:08 PM
jpryorx2
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my truck has never had a tach i have the cluster with the big gas gauge. from what i understand i can just plug in a cluster with a tach and have it work. i did see one on ebay that was within 2000 miles of mine so that would be nice.but i guess it's not that a big of deal if it's off.i have no intentions of selling the truck and am not trying to roll back the mileage. just one of the little upgrades that i'd like to do as i have minor trans issues and would like to see where it's actually shifting at. i really dont want to mount an external one on the dash so factory would be the way to go.

Old 01-31-2012, 02:43 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

I would still write down both odometer reading at the time of the swap so you have it for a reference

Old 01-31-2012, 04:15 PM
wermbang
Professional

Yeah this would be annoying especially when the move the same speed
Name:  nospeedo.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  29.8 KB

Old 01-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

That gas gauge would make me sad.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:30 PM
99dodge318
Record Breaker

I did it not to long ago heres a link to the thread

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...r-the-ram.html

Old 01-31-2012, 11:45 PM
jswain
Veteran

With a gas gauge that big, you could literally watch it drop. If you're into that sort of thing. Yeah, I'm with you, I think I'd prefer the tach.

Old 02-01-2012, 01:14 AM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker

Originally Posted by jswain
With a gas gauge that big, you could literally watch it drop. If you're into that sort of thing. Yeah, I'm with you, I think I'd prefer the tach.
I have the fancy cluster and I can still watch my gas gauge drop...

Old 02-01-2012, 07:27 AM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i changed my cluster due to a sticky speedometer that didn't work right. here's the answer....

the mileage is stored in both the cluster odometer AND the pcm. what you see displayed is from the cluster. hidden away in the pcm is a second copy of the mileage. no dealer nor auto repair shop is allowed to tamper with the mileage and i don't think? they have the tools to tamper with them.

if you sell the truck - its illegal to change the mileage AND not disclose it to the buyer.

if you need a new cluster or pcm at the dealer, the dealer submits a certified mileage statement to somewhere - and they receive an updated part. the dealer is not authorized to make the changes due to the risk of them rolling back mileage. (imagine that). you'll pay an huge amount for a dealer cluster or pcm, probably about $1000 each.

now - if you buy a remanufactured pcm from one of the many companies that offer it - they'll happily post your VIN and mileage into it.

if you buy a junkyard cluster and install it, your truck will display the junkyard's mileage and your pcm will continue to record the actual mileage. i did this and as far as i can tell, it doesn't create a problem. if i ever sell the truck - then i have to disclose the mileage as "unknown". i assume that anyone with a scanner, or at least a dealer scanner, can see the mileage discrepancy. i wrote down the difference so i know.

if you swap your cluster, check that it matches what you want -
year
mileage display
tach/no tach
auto/manual - the PRNDL module was an insert on my 01.
gas/diesel ?? i don't recall if this is different or not.

Quick Reply: dash panel swap what saves the milage?