2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

how to fix door rust on dodge

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2012, 01:40 PM
lowenasty 08
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to fix door rust on dodge

how do u all fix door rust on yall's dodge's

Old 01-31-2012, 02:37 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Mine is really bad, so, I am just going to find a couple doors in the yard that are in better shape...... do all the work to them they need before installation.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:04 PM
knoxy
Rookie

get better doors off craigslist

or

chop of the rusted metal and weld in new panels.

I opted for the latter option.

Old 01-31-2012, 04:24 PM
lowenasty 08
Amateur

Sum one told me to try the roll on bed liner on the bottom of the doors...

Old 01-31-2012, 05:39 PM
bekins01ram
Veteran

I lined the bottom quarter or so of my truck, and already had a hole through the bottom edge of the door. bedliner doesn't stop it from rusting if you dont address the rust first. There's still a hole, it still gets bigger, but it's not as noticeable with the bed-liner. hehe.

Above my fender where it rusted though, I sanded primed, and all that, and the rust hasn't come back through the bed liner. But ofc, it wasn't eaten through the fender yet. Just through the paint. Sand it to the metal, prime, and roll it on :P

Old 01-31-2012, 06:35 PM
LegendKiller89
Captain

New doors.

You can chop the bottom off and do the patch panel fix. However, these rust from the INSIDE OUT. So if you see it, it's worse then you think. Think of where it ends on the door on the outside, now think of how far it is on the inside. Alot worse. I'd just get some new doors, or some nice ones from a junkyard.

IMO the bedliner is more of a body-line down fix. And for the most part not something I'd do if it were a rotted door. However, take from the body line down sand it, I mean really sand it good. Prime it. Then bedline it.

Or here is my situation, and how I'm going to fix it - My rockers are rusting, and there is a spot on the extended cab that is blistered. So I am going to sand it from the body line down. Then prime it, then por15 it, then bedline it. Then I'm putting that chrome rocker molding on. So I am making sure that I have that under surface of that molding completely taken care of.

Do what's best for you. If you are going to keep the truck a long time do a more permanent fix. If you plan on only keeping it for a few years then probably doing the bedliner trick is good enough.

Old 01-31-2012, 07:55 PM
lowenasty 08
Amateur

Thanks guys ... i love this body of dodge i want a lift kit but i all so want a cummins Idk if im going to keep it or not...

Old 01-31-2012, 07:56 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

mine were bad...I ground away the rust and filled it with two part epoxy from harbor freight...like 25 tubes for $2 a set then primed and painted and herculined the rockers all the way arcross to cover repairs also painted inside the lower doors with rust-zero to seal it from moisture and water.......That was three years ago and its held up awesome

Quick Reply: how to fix door rust on dodge