2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46re from a 2WD into a 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 09:00 AM
PapaG
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by HeyYou
In order to change the output shaft, you have to completely disassemble the trans..... so, you would in effect be rebuilding it in any event. If your truck isn't your daily driver, just rebuild the one that's in it. Or, expand your year range for your search for a rebuildable unit, and replace the electronics with the right stuff for your truck while you rebuild it.

There are a LOT of good resources in the FAQ section if you want to give this a shot. Recently added the ATSG rebuild videos to the Rebuild your trans thread.
Actually tried expanding my search year wise already but still no luck. I've noticed on Craigslist quite a few people around my area looking for trans for the same model truck so apparently not too many in this area at the moment.
I'm probably just gonna go ahead and rebuild the one I have...

And YES the FAQ section has a TON of great info. I've already downloaded all the manuals I could find plus the ATSG video and I've also saved quite of few of the DIY threads/pics/info to my computer so that I still have it to reference when I'm not online. Honestly, armed with the info I have found on here so far I'm not really worried about the rebuild. I have a decent enough mechanical background to feel (somewhat) comfortable tearing into the trans and redoing it. Don't know if I would feel the same if I didn't have the info/advice I have found here....thanks guys!

Old 02-02-2012, 09:02 AM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=PapaG;2709091]
To get back on topic...i've never swapped tailhousings but if your overdrive unit needs to be rebuilt than it may be more economical to just keep looking or bite the bullet end have yours rebuilt. It should be more than 1100 or so to have it fully rebuilt.and at least you will know it will be good for a while[/QUOTE

Hell dude with four kids and a grandkid at home plus and ex-wife to take care of me spending $1100 on a tranny is dreaming! Lol. Plus I don't let ANYONE else do my mechanic work for me anymore. Learned my lesson on that with a couple of jobs on my oldest sons car. (Plus I absolutely REFUSE to spend money paying someone for something I can do myself.) If it's something I haven't done before then I just study up and do it myself which is the plan for rebuilding my tranny. BUT since I have to haul kids around as well as tools theres no way my truck can be down very long hence the idea of looking for a used trans to throw in there until I can rebuild mine (or rebuild the one I get). Unfortunately I can't seem to find a 46re out of a 4WD anywhere around here.

And just as a side note about topic/threads etc. I was actually looking at it more along the lines of someone doing a search on threads. I know from my experience of just joining this forum that when I was doing searches on stuff that I would get a lot of results that didn't pertain to what I was searching for and that makes for a lot of hunting through topics to find the singular info I was looking for. (ex. if someone is hunting for info on putting a trans from a 2wd to a 4wd do they really wanna know about my question about the gov pressure sensor?) I understand what you guys are saying and point taken. Not used to a forum type setting so bear with me.

remebr that with forums like this it is difficult to see the tone of the text. i was just simply trying to give you a very simple guide on when to make a new thread. no harm was ment by my words.

im just as broke as the next person so a full trans rebuild would be out of the question for me as well. ive tried a used trans before and it lasted less than 6 months before it was toast. so i was just trying to get the message across that even though it may be cheaper now to throw in a used one and take your time rebuilding your old one, that the new one may not last long. also im a good mechanic myself(im an aircraft mecahnic in the air force)im not afraid of rebuilding a motor, manual trans, or transfercase, but there a just some things i will not touch(such as an auto trans)

Old 02-02-2012, 09:18 AM
PapaG
Veteran

remebr that with forums like this it is difficult to see the tone of the text. i was just simply trying to give you a very simple guide on when to make a new thread. no harm was ment by my words.
Backwoods, I know no harm was meant. :-) Was just explaining my newbie thinking as far as thread/posts go. Like I said, not really used to the forum type format and what is easier/better way to post. I know EXACTLY what you mean about the "tone" of the text. I seem to have a problem with coming across as an a$$ sometimes. For some reason people seem to find me argumentative when I'm really not. (Lifelong habit of playing the Devil's advocate.)

As far as rebuilding the trans, honestly I wasn't really looking to get a LOT of time out of a used one. Just in a situation (hopefully temporary) at the moment where I find myself without a decent garage to work in and weather still sucks plus some personal scheduling conflicts that have me running every which way. My truck is my DD so can't really afford too much downtime...so guess I will just have to jump in and rebuild it myself...faster! Lol

Old 02-02-2012, 05:34 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by PapaG
Backwoods, I know no harm was meant. :-) Was just explaining my newbie thinking as far as thread/posts go. Like I said, not really used to the forum type format and what is easier/better way to post. I know EXACTLY what you mean about the "tone" of the text. I seem to have a problem with coming across as an a$$ sometimes. For some reason people seem to find me argumentative when I'm really not. (Lifelong habit of playing the Devil's advocate.)
I seem to have that same problem sometimes! LOL

Old 02-02-2012, 05:50 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
I seem to have that same problem sometimes! LOL

like me....sometimes.....

Old 02-02-2012, 06:20 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gdstock
like me....sometimes.....
Me three

Old 02-02-2012, 06:25 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Screw you two! Oh sorry, did that come across wrong?

Old 02-02-2012, 06:44 PM
stewie01
Legend

[QUOTE=BackwoodsRam;2709117]
Originally Posted by PapaG

im just as broke as the next person so a full trans rebuild would be out of the question for me as well. ive tried a used trans before and it lasted less than 6 months before it was toast. so i was just trying to get the message across that even though it may be cheaper now to throw in a used one and take your time rebuilding your old one, that the new one may not last long. also im a good mechanic myself(im an aircraft mecahnic in the air force)im not afraid of rebuilding a motor, manual trans, or transfercase, but there a just some things i will not touch(such as an auto trans)

So I'm sitting at the computer last night when all of a sudden I hear an airplane, only it sounds like it's about to fall on the friggin' house, jumped up and looked out the window, a huge military plane was doing practice runs I guess, they were LOW, low enough to hear them power the engines back up clear as day, there was another aircraft flying too, couldn't hear it but saw the red flashing light, I'm guessing a helo.

I thought they were gonna crash into the field! There's an Air Force base in Warner Robbins, there's a base in Albany and Valdosta too, probably another one somewhere's....

Old 02-02-2012, 07:14 PM
PapaG
Veteran

[QUOTE=stewie01;2709447]
Originally Posted by BackwoodsRam

So I'm sitting at the computer last night when all of a sudden I hear an airplane, only it sounds like it's about to fall on the friggin' house, jumped up and looked out the window, a huge military plane was doing practice runs I guess, they were LOW, low enough to hear them power the engines back up clear as day, there was another aircraft flying too, couldn't hear it but saw the red flashing light, I'm guessing a helo.

I thought they were gonna crash into the field! There's an Air Force base in Warner Robbins, there's a base in Albany and Valdosta too, probably another one somewhere's....
I used to live right outside Knoxville, TN in Maryville a few miles from the airport. Owned a powered parachute (type of ultralight plane) and used to fly from a little grass runway about 15 miles from the house. Out flying one day just cruising along about 500ft or so. Out of nowhere this HUGE shadow covers me and I look up and its a big freaking Air Force cargo plane about 500 ft above me. I got the hell out of there fast! They were doing low level training runs that day. Glad I realized it before they knocked my butt out of the sky! Lol

Old 02-02-2012, 09:09 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
Screw you two! Oh sorry, did that come across wrong?

Define "come across wrong." lol

Quick Reply: 46re from a 2WD into a 4x4