2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

46re from a 2WD into a 4x4

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 10:30 PM
PapaG
Veteran
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lmao! You guys are a trip. Nice to know I'm not the only rude a$$hole here...no offense meant.
Back on topic, looks like I may have found a trans and transfer case off a 4WD for my truck. Supposed to go check it out either tomorrow or Sat. Guy said it was doing good when he pulled it (dash fire did the truck in) so maybe it will be a decent one to take my time rebuilding. He's asking $250.
It's out of a 98..

Old 02-03-2012, 09:07 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Sounds like a steal. Update the electronics during your rebuild, and you will be golden. Hell, go thru the t-case as well, (t-case saver at least.) and swap that in too.

Old 02-03-2012, 09:42 AM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[quote=stewie01;2709447]
Originally Posted by BackwoodsRam

So I'm sitting at the computer last night when all of a sudden I hear an airplane, only it sounds like it's about to fall on the friggin' house, jumped up and looked out the window, a huge military plane was doing practice runs I guess, they were LOW, low enough to hear them power the engines back up clear as day, there was another aircraft flying too, couldn't hear it but saw the red flashing light, I'm guessing a helo.

I thought they were gonna crash into the field! There's an Air Force base in Warner Robbins, there's a base in Albany and Valdosta too, probably another one somewhere's....

imagine living right across the street from an air force base.....

Old 02-03-2012, 09:54 AM
HeyYou
Administrator

[quote=BackwoodsRam;2709927]
Originally Posted by stewie01

imagine living right across the street from an air force base.....
Or living ON one.... with B-52s, and F-106's..... The 6's liked to sit at the end of the runway, run the engines up to full throttle, hit the afterburner, and THEN release the brakes...... My windows would shake and rattle. Of course, they enjoyed doing this most at 3:00AM......

Or: Sitting in the AAPA (alert aircraft parking area) when they decide to have a drill. Eight 52's doing a 'quick start' on all eight engines (each...) at once..... basically, they use a five pound coffee can of gunpowder to spin the engines up to running speed in a few short seconds...... can't see a damn thing for a few minutes, let alone HEAR anything other than the thunder of 64 jet engines........

Old 02-03-2012, 03:57 PM
stewie01
Legend

[QUOTE=HeyYou;2709935]

Or living ON one.... with B-52s, and F-106's..... The 6's liked to sit at the end of the runway, run the engines up to full throttle, hit the afterburner, and THEN release the brakes...... My windows would shake and rattle. Of course, they enjoyed doing this most at 3:00AM......

Or: Sitting in the AAPA (alert aircraft parking area) when they decide to have a drill. Eight 52's doing a 'quick start' on all eight engines (each...) at once..... basically, they use a five pound coffee can of gunpowder to spin the engines up to running speed in a few short seconds...... can't see a damn thing for a few minutes, let alone HEAR anything other than the thunder of 64 jet engines........

This would make some AWESOME youtube video!

Old 02-03-2012, 05:30 PM
BackwoodsRam
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=HeyYou;2709935]

I do....Barksdale has b52s and all 8 cart starts are freaking loud AND smokey. you used to work on em hey you?

Stewie, it its an awesome sight to see

Old 02-03-2012, 08:32 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

[quote=BackwoodsRam;2710220]
Originally Posted by HeyYou

I do....Barksdale has b52s and all 8 cart starts are freaking loud AND smokey. you used to work on em hey you?

Stewie, it its an awesome sight to see
I used to babysit the ones that had things that go "Boom", and make cities disappear on them. I worked security. Got PAID to sit in a truck, smoke cigarettes, and play with guns. (I won't mention terrorizing fraternity pledges. )

Old 02-05-2012, 02:26 PM
PapaG
Veteran

Well I went and picked up the tranny for my truck. From the outside it looks to be in fairly decent shape. Now just have to start accumulating the rest of my parts.
On the drive back my freakin exhaust came loose. The weld right at the back of the cat broke so gonna go screw with it for a while now. Thinkin its a good time to go ahead and gut the cat until I can redo the exhaust.

Ok it's finally official...I am a complete and total dumbass. As if this hasn't been proven enough times I had to go and prove it to myself again. I have been looking for a 46re out of a 4wd for my 01 and haven't had much luck around here. Finally found one on Craiglist; a trans and transfer case and TC out of a 98 Ram with a 5.9 for what I thought was a decent price. Talked to the guy and he says the trans was running fine at about 150,000 but the truck had a dash fire so he parted out what he could. So I decide to get it... Here's the deal; the day I went and picked the trans up I was running way late and traffic was a b**** plus it was raining. A wreck on interstate held me up another 45 minutes. Normally I'm a patient guy but with all the hold ups I was rushing like crazy. So anyway I get there to meet the guy and it was raining so we switched the trans from his vechicle to mine and got it under a tarp pretty quick. I gave it a quick lookover but wasn't going over it with a fine tooth comb since it was getting rebuilt and I was WAY behind as it was. So then I get home and pull the trans out (still covered with the tarp) and didn't really have a chance to check it out good until yesterday. Didn't take me long to realize how much of a dumbass I am...
Here is a link to some pics of the trans http://photobucket.com/transpics..shouldn't take you too long to figure out WHY I'm an idiot.

Last edited by PapaG; 02-17-2012 at 10:23 PM.
Old 02-17-2012, 10:38 PM
PapaG
Veteran

So now this is me > or more appropriately

Old 02-17-2012, 11:03 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

[quote=HeyYou;2709935]

B52's! wow.... you dated yourself there....I have blueprints for one of those floating around here somewhere... I saw one on google earth that some guy bought and converted to a gas station with pumps under the wings...

Quick Reply: 46re from a 2WD into a 4x4