2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

wierd question?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 12:15 PM
drewactual
Champion
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pauls98ram
1 tank, a couple of days. Why?
depending on where you are at geographically, the EPA 'winter fuel' program my be the gremlin you're searching for..

if you're using 93 on the 93 tune, and wondering why it gets better mileage? because there is a massive difference between 87/9 and 93 in winter blends.. I would venture a guess that the 87/9 blend is butane and ethanol laden and runs through your engine like a glass of Mumbai water does through a 'good ol boy'.. (Mumbai sh&^ pie, if you've never experienced it, just simply take my word for it)

I'm going to throw this out there just for thinking purpose- but it's my firm opinion that you DON'T want to 'experiment' with fuels and tunes in the middle of 'winter blend' season.. run what runs perceptively better, and let it go.. in April~June, the EPA mandates the shift to 'summer blends', and those blends are better for performance as well as 'making engines happy'.. THAT is when you'll want to experiment.. the butane content decreases significantly, and you'll often find that 87/9 runs almost as good as 91 to 93 does in the winter..

Old 02-04-2012, 12:16 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Plenum is good. Yes I removed and cleaned the tb. Map sensor is new.
Tuneup = cap and rotor, plugs, wires, pcv, oil change, oil and air filters.
The truck just turned 80,000 miles and runs great.

Thanks for the responces so far!

I assume you looked ALL around inside the intake with a mirror and flashlight? Mine gasket was blown at 78K. And get a PCV valve from the dealer.

Old 02-04-2012, 12:24 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by drewactual
depending on where you are at geographically, the EPA 'winter fuel' program my be the gremlin you're searching for..

if you're using 93 on the 93 tune, and wondering why it gets better mileage? because there is a massive difference between 87/9 and 93 in winter blends.. I would venture a guess that the 87/9 blend is butane and ethanol laden and runs through your engine like a glass of Mumbai water does through a 'good ol boy'.. (Mumbai sh&^ pie, if you've never experienced it, just simply take my word for it)

I'm going to throw this out there just for thinking purpose- but it's my firm opinion that you DON'T want to 'experiment' with fuels and tunes in the middle of 'winter blend' season.. run what runs perceptively better, and let it go.. in April~June, the EPA mandates the shift to 'summer blends', and those blends are better for performance as well as 'making engines happy'.. THAT is when you'll want to experiment.. the butane content decreases significantly, and you'll often find that 87/9 runs almost as good as 91 to 93 does in the winter..
I agree, plus, the colder temps means cooler air= IAT and a cooler running motor= ECT. Which in turn tell the PCM to dump in more fuel. Last time I checked and posted my MPG's it was a hair over 14, I just checked it the other day and I'm down to 12. Same Rt. , driving habits and same gas station.

Old 02-05-2012, 12:02 AM
pauls98ram
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
I assume you looked ALL around inside the intake with a mirror and flashlight? Mine gasket was blown at 78K. And get a PCV valve from the dealer.

yes, the inside was spotless except for a small pattern coming from the pcv.

I'm in Pa., most gas here has 10% ethanol.

Should both 02's be changed? I thought only the front one controlled mpg?

Old 02-05-2012, 01:23 AM
merc225hp
Champion
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Change both 02's, they both play a roll in fuel trim.

Old 02-05-2012, 03:13 AM
RSDodgelover
Professional
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just for comparison, I've got the same truck except I have the 5.2 and am also in PA. I get 12.5 to 13.5 on 89 octane with no tuner. This is driving rather sedately to and from work much somewhat worse when I run it a little harder tow anything. On the other hand I have an 05 QC with the 5.7 hemi and get 14.5 to 16+ and a LOT better performance.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:26 PM
jswain
Veteran

I'd be happy with 14. The truck runs great but the mpg is killing me!
Anyone know if a slow O2 could give a problem without giving a cel?
I usually get closer to 12.5. Mine has 3.55 gears. You said you were getting 11.5 going off the computer, which you stated wasn't all that accurate. I think you also said you had an offroad edition, which probably has 4.10 gears. Your gas mileage may be normal.

Old 02-05-2012, 11:46 PM
SpencerS
Captain

I have a 5.9 4x4 with 3.92 gears. I get average around 9 mpg driving slower than a kalamazzo(for those of you that watched comfy couch). Check your cat and o2 sensors those are the major culprits.

Quick Reply: wierd question?