2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Starting problem

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 10:19 AM
Wile C
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Starting problem

This might have already been covered but giving it a shot. Just recently my 98 ram 5.9 is giving me starting problems. It starts fine cold and then after running a while and stopped acts up when I go to start it again. I just replace the battery since the other one was over four years old on a four year battery thinking it was the problem but it wasn't. I went out earlier and started it after it had been off for about a week and it started right up..though not with the normal "zest" for lack of better terms than I am used to..fired up but not a fast idle. Ran it for about 15 minutes and then shut it off and tried to restart it. No go as far as just turning the key. Had to keep pumping the pedal to keep it going and finally after a rough idle it settled down and idled around 700 or so and smoothed out. I put it in drive and no problem maintaining idle. It drives fine when it's started just the restarts require pumping. Not sure if this is a sensor or fuel pump problem. any ideas?

thanks and sorry if this is a repost..dont' get on here much anymore

Old 02-04-2012, 10:35 AM
ministock6
Rookie

you might check the readings on coolant temp sensor, when they act up the readings on the scanner will be off, and it acts like its flooded when starting a warm engine, but they will start fine cold. when its warm you might try holding it to the floor until it fires,and cleans out, then will idle fairly good, IAC also affects starts sometimes, but usually doesn't matter hot or cold, so i dont think from what your saying that it would be the problem...

Old 02-04-2012, 10:43 AM
Wile C
Professional

thanks i'll look into that. not been a good few weeks with my mopars. torque converter failed in my 73 charger, just found my k&n air filter cone fell off on my magnum, and my truck misbehaving ...must be song in there somewhere

Old 02-04-2012, 11:37 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Get a Haynes manual and a cheap multimeter. The manual has the test procedures for all the sensors.

Quick Reply: Starting problem