2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

dry oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012 | 12:10 PM
Johnny2Bad
Professional

Champion is one of the bigger filter manufacturers (along with Wix, Honeywell, FRAM). Its true that different brands are made to different spec and I don't think anyone would seriously suggest there are any secrets one knows that the others don't.

But knowing that doesn't really help us as consumers as far as choosing an adequate product off the shelf; i'd even go as far as suggesting it harms some people ... The ones who then take that to mean "they're all the same because Wix [or insert your favorite alternative] makes them for [ditto]". Clearly thats jumping to a conclusion that isn't supported by tear-apart evidence.

For all the good it does us to know about OEM sub-contracting we may as well forget we know there are only a few actual factories. Its not a useful aid to choosing a product.

We can use the FRAM Model I suggested worth considering as an example ... every other FRAM model uses a metal tube with a cardboard end cap glued on, and some of those sell for nearly $15. If all six or eight FRAM models were sold under unique brand names that wouldn't support an assumption the PH was some kind of secret bargain.

As always you have to use the best information you have and then make a decision.

With our trucks there is also a complicating factor ... We have high mileage engines and we're trying to eke out that last 100,000 miles. If we were new truck buyers who changed oil at the dealer to support a warranty maybe a cheap filter would be cost-effective ... we might intend to sell the truck after we burn the first 100.000 off, and somebody else's wallet pays if we follow the schedule and something happens. I'm sitting on my warranty.

Different priorities, different filter.

Last edited by Johnny2Bad; 02-11-2012 at 12:47 PM.

Quick Reply: dry oil filter