2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

i keep going through blower motor resistors. i need some help

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2012, 11:24 AM
catalyst
Professional
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default i keep going through blower motor resistors. i need some help

Ive replaced the blower motor resister once about 7 months ago, and then had the same symptom to where the prong came loose on the resistor (i thought it was just a bad solder joint, so I soldered it back down and that seemed to fix the problem - until now.

The part I soldered down its back up again, so I know that something keeps heating the resistor and melting the solder on the resistor, so that puppy has to be getting pretty damn hot.

Would this be indicative of a bad blower motor? the blower had a whine a week or two ago, but it still blew air ok.

If the blower is failing - how difficult is that to change?

Not sure if this is also related or not, but the heat on this thing just seems to blow luke warm, not hot. However, I've read these things suck at heating.

Old 02-06-2012, 11:28 AM
moparplowjockey

Sounds like to me you need to replace the blower motor. As for the heat I would check the thermostat. My truck blows out very hot air and most times I run the temp below midway. As for the difficulty I have never changed my blower motor but if it's like the one in my son's Grand Am if you are a contortionist you will be fine!

Old 02-06-2012, 11:33 AM
catalyst
Professional

well, the truck runs cool (according to the gauge). I need to check the Coolant tempt sensor this spring, because i want to say its in the left 1/3 the whole time i operate it, summer or winter.

it will blow heat, but the blower really needs to be at the 3/4 mark instead of all the way on. At 3/4 it blows hot. At full on, it blows luke warm.

Last edited by catalyst; 02-06-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-06-2012, 12:09 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,389 Likes on 3,129 Posts

What year is your truck? (put that info in your sig. also your profile, so it shows for folks that don't see sigs.)

Check the grounds for your blower motor. (switch provides ground path.)

Service manuals are available for download in the faq section, so you can find where the ground really is.

Old 02-06-2012, 01:17 PM
catalyst
Professional

'98 dodge ram 1500.

here's the temp gauge. it looks like the tstat is functional - i watched it shoot up a smidge higher, and then move back down.

Quick Reply: i keep going through blower motor resistors. i need some help