2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Passenger Leaf Spring Rear Shackle Broken

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 09:09 AM
ripto
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I also don't have any friends in the area that would be able to help. I recently started a new job and none of my friends in the area really have tools or equipment to do this. I'm not doubting it, but how could this cause a wreck / damage my axles? I called and made an appt for Monday morning, couldn't find any shops open on the weekend.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:11 AM
kejobe
Record Breaker
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

The axle attaches to the spring, the spring to the shackle, the shackle to the frame. If the shackle isnt attached, then neither is the axle.

Old 02-11-2012, 09:16 AM
ripto
Captain

Isn't the spring attached to the axle at the center via U-bolts? I would think the end of the spring would just curl up a bit, but the center of it still be attached, or would the force of the spring contracting rip it apart?

Old 02-11-2012, 09:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,235 Likes on 2,984 Posts

Every time you go around a corner, you are putting side loads on the axle, and therefore, the springs. Given that you have one spring that is only attached to the frame on one end, it can shift in directions that it really shouldn't, putting excessive side loads on other parts as well. You have one shackle that has rusted out, and broke. ALL the parts down there live in the same environment..... ALL of them are going to be suspect at this point. Should the shackle on the other side decide it doesn't want to handle ALL of the side loading..... you could find yourself with a rear end that won't stay in line with the rest of the truck, causing some truly interesting handling characteristics. Loss of vehicle control is only one of the possible consequences. It really isn't safe to drive like that. If it were mine, I would take it to the shop where you are going to have it fixed, and leave it there.

Old 02-11-2012, 10:07 AM
ripto
Captain

Thanks for the info. I've already canceled all my plans and the next time I'll be driving the truck will be to the shop Sunday night to drop it off.

Old 02-11-2012, 02:54 PM
crawlin95
Professional

FYI you might want to check and possibly plan on replacing the shackle on the otherside as well.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:07 PM
ripto
Captain

Yeah I'll have them take a look at it too. I don't see myself keeping this truck much farther past the winter season, so if it is in decent shape, I might let it slide.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Augiedoggy
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

That pretty bad... And I'm a fellow New yorker.... I would be really concerned that about other parts of the lower end like the frame being about to crack I'm actually suprised that passes NYS inspection? I would question how well they are really inspecting things?
My jeep didnt look half that bad and the frame was rotten and cracked in three places.... Not safe with a +5,000 pound truck

Old 02-11-2012, 05:44 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

don't fret over the frame or other things.
do fix the shackle PDQ, and also inspect the brake lines and fuel lines. due to dodge using poor quality parts on them, they tend to rust out too.

if the rear brake line blows out if can cause loss of brakes. if that happens, know to immediately use you parking brake pedal.

don't worry about blow out of fuel line, as it'll cause a pretty immediate stall and then the ASD will shut down the fuel pump.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:50 PM
ripto
Captain

Got it back from the shop. They replaced the rear shackle of both leaf springs.

Cost breakdown:

2 Shackles (they replaced the rear shackle of each leaf spring) = $43.95 x 2 = $87.90
2.5 Hours of labor = $80 x 2.5 = $200

Total = $200 + $87.90 = $287.90 + tax

Quick Reply: Passenger Leaf Spring Rear Shackle Broken