2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Getting Heads and Cam!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 02:07 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Stock should be fine. If I recall correctly, Marty at KRC used to tell folks if they were revving over 5500RPMs to go .025" longer. That seats the pushrod a bit deeper in the lifter bore to reduce the possibility of it popping out, but i believe the tighter valve train costs you a few HP.

kind of a trade off of safety vs speed. At any rate call comp cams and use their recommendation.

Old 02-14-2012, 05:50 PM
sinus19
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by aim4squirrels
Stock should be fine. If I recall correctly, Marty at KRC used to tell folks if they were revving over 5500RPMs to go .025" longer. That seats the pushrod a bit deeper in the lifter bore to reduce the possibility of it popping out, but i believe the tighter valve train costs you a few HP.

kind of a trade off of safety vs speed. At any rate call comp cams and use their recommendation.
well i called Hughes and I ended up getting New Lifter, push rods (non harden), Roller Rocker, Double roller Timing chain, Valve covers and a complete gasket kit. I'd rather have a completely new vale train than having to worry or hope if everything will be ok later on. Over all ive spend a bit more than my original budget but I'd rather be safe.
Thank you guys for all of your valuable 2 penies and dimes! Im super excited to complete my top end and hear that loby idle!! I will keep you posted with pics and vids
Next project after this will be getting a new block and stroking it to a 427! All i would have to do than is to just transfer my top end to the new short block!

Last edited by sinus19; 02-14-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:47 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by sinus19
hmm.. so you think the stock rods will take the beating from the new cam?

How aggressive a cam are you putting in? Is this your first cam change? Some applications require forged rods, but that is based on what you are building, and how you are going to drive it.

If it were me, I would consult with cam mfg and head mfg and make sure everything syncs. They should provide good advice regarding rods. They do not want it to blow up either.

Quick Reply: Getting Heads and Cam!!!!