2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Squealing after truck is warm

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2012, 03:33 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,270 Likes on 3,017 Posts

Safest would be just park it. Driving it is a gamble...... how lucky do you feel?

Old 02-14-2012, 07:19 PM
dhvaughan
Hall Of Fame
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

its a gamble. the risk/cost goes up the farther away from home you try to drive it.

the worst thing that can happen is the bearing comes apart and you have to pull over and park it. mine spit the water pump needle bearings out one day at work without warning. water pump wouldn't turn and i couldn't figure out any way to drive home without overheating so i had to have it towed.

this will be you...
https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...ater-pump.html

Old 02-14-2012, 07:26 PM
Wh1t3NuKle
Champion
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by i mow grass
It wobbles probably about a 1/4" each way when I grab on to the fan blades. I am fixing to repair the plenum within the next few days, should I go ahead and do the water pump while I am at it or is it just a bearing I can replace?
As the others have suggested, I'll jump on the bandwagon with them to replace it.

*Flashback to 12/10/2008* Driving home from work about 9pm going past little 'ol Highlands Ranch to Littleton. I momentarily hear a squeal. It's only momentarily b/c I'm hip-hoppin to the stereo in sub-20F temps. I glance down and notice my temp needle sky rocket, while in my peripheral the Big O Faithful white smoke spews from the hood. Fortunately no one was on the road that late...and yanked that **** over. Opened the hood and only found 12" of the serp belt wrapped up in the pulleys.

No choice but to have it towed and fixed at a shop. I don't recall the coin it cost, but I do have the receipt. Then moved to CA 2 weeks later.... lol

Oh man if that happened while on the trip......

Old 02-14-2012, 08:16 PM
Nereaga
Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Mine luckily **** out while I was at work and it was parked... Big puddle underneath, had to drive a mile to a nearby shop, but I would not go too far from home with a loose bearing on the fan, thats just me. Carry some extra water in case of an emergency or coolant, but that gets expensive in large quantities... Thats what I would be if I HAD to drive it til the weekend.

My buddy, who lets just say is not smart when it comes to cars, stepped over a river of coolant in his garage to hop in his 2005 BMW 325xi and gas it to work. Engine light comes on, he pulls over dumps in some coolant and proceeds down the turnpike with his BMW overheating and going 85mph! Engine locks up and he pulls over. Well turns out after he gets towed to the nearest bmw dealer, 4 of the 6 cylinders do not hold compression... Motor done... Idiot

All he does is go get a 2009 335xi now... must be nice

Old 02-14-2012, 08:23 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I must be getting REALLY old...I don't see any video....

But I agree with everyone saying park it and replace. About 2 to 3 hours. Will save that "broen pants" thing from happening - and if your luck is anywhere near the neighborhood of my luck - brown pants will be required. It will screw you at the most inoportune time.....

Quick Reply: Squealing after truck is warm