2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

No thermostat

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2012, 09:44 PM
gdstock
Legend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zman17
It might run like crap with no T-Stat. The ECT is not seeing the correct temp, so I would expect nothing less from the PCM than to tell you something is not right.

+1 on running like crap without tstat. The engine temp will not come up to normal operating temperature without the tstat under normal conditions. The PCM checks engine temp and keeps trying to adjust af misture, timing and other things based on temp. Being outside the correct range will not allow the PCM to settle into a normal operating routine.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:00 PM
aim4squirrels
Legend
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Bad coolant temps can cause massive issues with fueling. You're probably pig rich and the engine can't burn off all that excess fuel.

there are certain vehicles where removing that tstat can actually cause an overheating situation, as the coolant passes thru the radiator too quickly and doesn't agreed all of it's heat. Lots of racers have that problem, they usually run a Moroso restrictor, which is essentially a large washer in place of the tstat, which restricts the flow a bit to slow down the coolant flow.

the truck radiators are large enough that i don't believe that to ever be a problem, unless maybe you were hot lapping at the track.

Old 02-24-2012, 10:11 PM
mantisman51
Record Breaker
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have cold nights here-down to about 20° on cold nights, but the days are rarely below 50°. I have had no problems since ditching my t-stat a couple years ago. After about 10 minutes my engine temp is up to the 2nd line and stays there. But each beast has its' own personality.

Old 02-25-2012, 12:49 PM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by mantisman51
We have cold nights here-down to about 20° on cold nights, but the days are rarely below 50°. I have had no problems since ditching my t-stat a couple years ago. After about 10 minutes my engine temp is up to the 2nd line and stays there. But each beast has its' own personality.
Yea OK.

Quick Reply: No thermostat