2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trouble removing rear speed sensor on 99 2500

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 11:18 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by kadetklapp
Well, after much cussing and gnashing of teeth, I finally got the thing out. It took ramming a screwdriver into it with a hammer to just crack it to pieces and pull it out. What a PITA. New sensor is in and surprisingly, the speedo is working beautifully and all but my CEL is out on the dash (probably have to clear it with a scanner). I honestly was expecting to still have issues. So, I'm excited. I guess the good news is I've got really really fresh gear oil now. I read in another thread that it's necessary to pop the diff cover. Yeah, Don't waste your time. Unless you have in your possession some really nice gynecologists tools you will not be able to put pressure on the bung from the inside of the diff. You can see it, it can see you, but you cannot touch it, no sir.
The reason for removing the cover is for exactly what you did, but also so you can smash the sensor to pieces down from the outside. Then you can clean it all out. And you had the negative battery cable disconnected while you F'd with it right? Because by doing so you also reset the PCM. No need for a scanner.

Old 02-28-2012, 12:16 PM
kadetklapp
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ah. I'm going to go stand in the corner now.

Old 02-28-2012, 03:49 PM
blackbeasst
Veteran

i feel your pain bro. like zman said, my **** broke off last week too. i just knew for the life of me that i was going to push it down in the diff. but with some lovin on it i finally got it up enough to grab that son beach with some pliers and pull it out

Last edited by blackbeasst; 02-28-2012 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:24 AM
kadetklapp
Veteran

Ah...how nice to see the cluster idiot-light free...that is until the "low wiper fluid" light kicks on! HAHA. Doggon thing!

Now maybe with a working trip meter I can calculate my MPGs since the first time I owned it!

Quick Reply: Trouble removing rear speed sensor on 99 2500