2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Trouble removing rear speed sensor on 99 2500

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 06:23 PM
kadetklapp
Veteran
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Trouble removing rear speed sensor on 99 2500

For the last hour I've been laying on my back in the driveway trying to remove the rear axle speed sensor from a 99 2500 w/ Dana 60. The sensor more or less disintigrated when I started taking it apart, and now all that's left is the plug inside the differential housing and the black outer piece where the bolt goes thru. I cannot for the life of me get it out. It will twist, it will turn, but it will not come out. I've heated it up, smacked it with a hammer, tried prying it out with vice-grips, no dice. I'm kinda in a pickle as I need to drive this thing tomorrow and I have a gaping hole with a melted piece of plastic sticking out the top of my diff!

Old 02-26-2012, 06:32 PM
Mutt Bryant
Professional

When I did it, I put a chisel under the rim and pryed it upwards and twisted. I repeated til it shot out.

Old 02-26-2012, 06:41 PM
dlyter09
Champion

Yea I had to use a big flathead screw driver to pry it out. It took a good amount of force to get it to finally pop out of there

Old 02-26-2012, 06:52 PM
kadetklapp
Veteran

G*damn thing broke off inside the diff
So, I guess I get to pull the cover off and hammer the damn thing out. Even though I just changed the gear oil four weeks ago. That's what I get....

Old 02-26-2012, 07:20 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

Put a screw into the sensor, and pry on THAT.

Old 02-27-2012, 11:40 AM
zman17
Retired Moderator - RIP
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

blackbeasst just had this problem. Here's how he did it. Sort of.

https://dodgeforum.com/forum/2nd-gen...rear-diff.html

Old 02-27-2012, 11:54 AM
kadetklapp
Veteran

Ya, no. The round part of the sensor (the black housing) is stuck down in the hole. There is nothing left sticking out of the hole. I guess I'll have to pull the cover and punch the damn thing out. What a freaking PITA.

Old 02-27-2012, 06:19 PM
kadetklapp
Veteran

OK, this is GETTING SERIOUS.

Whoever said to remove the diff cover and tap it out apparently has never opened up a diff. It's not possible without removing the ring gear. So that's a waste of time and money down the toilet.

The damn round black plastic piece is still well inbedded in the hoghead. It WILL NOT BUDGE. I tried running a screw into the damn thing but all I manage to do is rip the screw out. I'm afraid if I run the screw in too far I will damage the ring gear. This is seriously bad news!

Old 02-27-2012, 06:28 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,176 Likes on 2,929 Posts

If you have a torch available, heat the screw nice and red, and insert it into the sensor. Let it cool for a bit, then try and pull it.

Old 02-28-2012, 11:04 AM
kadetklapp
Veteran

Well, after much cussing and gnashing of teeth, I finally got the thing out. It took ramming a screwdriver into it with a hammer to just crack it to pieces and pull it out. What a PITA. New sensor is in and surprisingly, the speedo is working beautifully and all but my CEL is out on the dash (probably have to clear it with a scanner). I honestly was expecting to still have issues. So, I'm excited. I guess the good news is I've got really really fresh gear oil now. I read in another thread that it's necessary to pop the diff cover. Yeah, Don't waste your time. Unless you have in your possession some really nice gynecologists tools you will not be able to put pressure on the bung from the inside of the diff. You can see it, it can see you, but you cannot touch it, no sir.

Quick Reply: Trouble removing rear speed sensor on 99 2500