2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

Accelerator lag?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2012, 01:19 AM
Echosider
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accelerator lag?

I don't know if this is an actual problem or just nature if the beast.

I've had my dodge for five years now. Since I've gotten it, it has always seemed to lag a little till you hit about 3k. Then it noticably takes off. For those of you who own a turbo vehicle or enjoy the technical achievements of modern racing games, you'd think of turbo lag because that's exactly what it acts like.

Now I've done many engine mods and this has never changed. Plenum fix, plenum mod, tb mod, rebuild, tow cam, headers, roller rockers, iron ram heads, SCT, CAI, High flow cat, Wide band O2, mufflers, plugs, wires, cap.

I don't know anyone else with a Ram(at least not 2nd gen) to get a driving comparison. I've read that keggers fall on their face around this point in the RPM range but this is where I really take off. It runs and tows well but I was just curious if this is really the norm.

Happens anywhere from half throttle on up. I'm interested to see if anyone else has this or if I got the special truck.

Old 02-28-2012, 07:58 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine has done this since it was stock. It got better with 4.10 gears but it does still do it.
Do I know what causes it? Nope.

Old 02-28-2012, 08:46 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,211 Likes on 2,962 Posts

Mine did that when my plenum was blown.... at about 3K RPM, it was like flipping a switch, and the other half of the motor started contributing to moving the truck...... I see you have fixed yours already though......

Old 02-28-2012, 08:56 AM
Sheriff420
Grand Champion
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Mine did it with a little leak in the plenum gasket, after the leak was fixed and also now that I don't have a plenum gasket.

Old 02-29-2012, 12:00 AM
Echosider
Amateur
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At least I'm not alone and don't seem to have a genuine problem.

So, of course!, when someone asks... Oh yeah, custom mod. Got my power band to kick in at 3k.

Bad a**? You know it!

Quick Reply: Accelerator lag?