2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 dodge ram 1500 "whinning" noise, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 08:45 AM
lyonidas13
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all the help!. i will be doing some more diagnostic ,work today to elimate some possible causes. i doubt its coming from the engine because i know what a loose serpintine belt sounds like and it doesnt sound like that, however, i will investigate anyways. it sounds like its coming from the transmission or rear end not the motor.

i will post after i get done looking at the truck.

Old 03-06-2012, 09:29 AM
haXer

Originally Posted by merc225hp
Not replacing the crush sleeve might lead to some very expensive repair work.
Can you elaborate...??? I want to keep the same pinion bearing preload so the backlash is the same, all I am doing is replacing the pioion bearings and cap bearings. If i reuse the crush sleeve and shims and torque to spec nothing should change should it? You have to go way up on the torque to crush the new sleeve (which i have in the kit) and risk over doing it (too much preload). I have thought about getting a crush sleeve eliminator kit though...

Old 03-06-2012, 09:50 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,282 Likes on 3,029 Posts

You MUST replace the crush sleeve, simply because of the way it works. As you torque the pinion nut to spec, the crush sleeve does exactly that.... it crushes down, to maintain pre-load on the bearings. Improper pre-load will lead to bearing failure in pretty short order. When you are torquing down the pinion nut, you are running the NUT to some particular value.... you tighten it down to get a specific amount of torque required to rotate the pinion itself. (make sure the bearings are lubed up good before installation......)

Old 03-06-2012, 12:36 PM
haXer

Originally Posted by HeyYou
You MUST replace the crush sleeve, simply because of the way it works. As you torque the pinion nut to spec, the crush sleeve does exactly that.... it crushes down, to maintain pre-load on the bearings. Improper pre-load will lead to bearing failure in pretty short order. When you are torquing down the pinion nut, you are running the NUT to some particular value.... you tighten it down to get a specific amount of torque required to rotate the pinion itself. (make sure the bearings are lubed up good before installation......)
But after you crush the sleeve to get 25 inLB turning on the yoke you have to back the pinion nut off completly and retorque to a value(not in my head right now). I was hoping that by torqueing the nut back down to the final torque value with the old crush sleeve and shims that the preload would come out in the acceptable range of 20-30 inlb...

Old 03-06-2012, 01:59 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by haXer
But after you crush the sleeve to get 25 inLB turning on the yoke you have to back the pinion nut off completly and retorque to a value(not in my head right now). I was hoping that by torqueing the nut back down to the final torque value with the old crush sleeve and shims that the preload would come out in the acceptable range of 20-30 inlb...
Not sure where you got that from...... From the FSM:

CAUTION: Never loosen pinion gear nut to
decrease pinion gear bearing preload torque and
never exceed specified preload torque. If preload
torque is exceeded a new collapsible spacer must
be installed. The torque sequence will have to be
repeated.

Old 07-21-2012, 11:55 AM
jshoemaker30
Default Whining noise when coasting

I have a 1998 Dodge 1500 4x4. My drive shaft fell out because rear u joint broke. I replaced the rear u joint and now I have a whining noise only when coasting. Checked all fluids and they are full. Yes checked transmission in neutral. Any help would be appreciated

Old 07-21-2012, 12:08 PM
HeyYou
Administrator

Originally Posted by jshoemaker30
I have a 1998 Dodge 1500 4x4. My drive shaft fell out because rear u joint broke. I replaced the rear u joint and now I have a whining noise only when coasting. Checked all fluids and they are full. Yes checked transmission in neutral. Any help would be appreciated
Got fluid dripping out at the front pinion seal? I would spin things in back by hand, and see what you can feel.

Old 07-21-2012, 07:48 PM
ReadRam
All Star

Originally Posted by jshoemaker30
My guess is the whining noise is coming from your rear diff/pinion bearing. Just had mine replaced and was having very similar sound. Might want to pull the cover and have look inside, also.

Quick Reply: 2001 dodge ram 1500 "whinning" noise, please help!