2nd Gen Ram Tech 1994-2001 Rams: This section is for TECHNICAL discussions only, that involve the 1994 through 2001 Rams. For any non-tech discussions, please direct your attention to the "General discussion/NON-tech" sub sections.

2001 Dodge Ram A/C replacement

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 08:43 AM
Shuckapeafarms
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 Dodge Ram A/C replacement

I have a 2001 Dodge Ram 1500 extended cab 4X4 with the 5.9L engine. My A/C worked perfectly last year but I had to add 2-3 small cans of 134A to the system over time.
I thought before the season gets too hot I would replace the most likely component for a leak.........that good ol evaporator........with a quality one that hopefully out performs the factory made in China junk!
I'm replacing the evaporator and as advised, both the accumulator/drier and the liquid orfice line.
My questions: The tag on the radiator cowl states to use SP-20 PAG OIL. I read numerous online webpages regarding this task with many suggesting using a PAG oil with ICE 32 or something of that nature. Some state pour the correct amount directly into the inlet port of the replacement part.......2 oz for the evaporator and 1-2 oz for the drier.........don't worry about the liquid line as lines carry vey minimal oil. What is your opinion on that knowledge and is the drier one ounce or two.......it makes a difference since over oiling the system takes a toll on cooling capability from what I have read.
Also, SP-20 PAG OIL vs PAG OIL with ICE 32?? Are they the same, compatiable, and what PAG OIL with ICE 32 would I use? Some say 46 while others say 100??? I want to use the correct oil for longevity of the components. Also, I read to measure what oil comes out of each component and put back in same amount?? I don't like that for several reasons. First, how do I know the system has the correct amount of oil to begin with and isn't over full or under full? Will the evacuation process measure the oil and correct it's quantity...........or how do I measure the oil in the system prior to evacuating and refilling with 134A??
Last question: Evacuating the system??? Add the oil and then evacuate and add 134A Freon.........is that the protocol or should I be doing it in some other manner???
Sorry for writing a book but I want to get it right the first time as anyone who has taken on this task knows the man hours involved!!

Old 03-06-2012, 08:47 AM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Use the factory recommended oil. Can't go wrong there. You go ahead and swap the parts, but, have a shop with the proper equipment evacuate and recharge the system once you have it all put back together. While you are replacing the evaporator core, do your heater core as well.

Old 03-07-2012, 08:47 AM
Shuckapeafarms
Default My A/C issue

I checked out the truck more yesterday and did some research in my shop manual for this truck. It was built with a sandek or something like that compressor but thats not whats on it now...........which indicates someone has changed out the compressor. Now I will have to find out what oil that compressor uses as they are generally all specific.
I have been turning wrenches for over 35 years so the mechanic issues aren't the problem...........it's the A/C which I am a bit green but working on it. I DON'T take any of my vehicles to SHOPS...........ever!!! Most don't have mechanics, they're parts replacers! Shops will RIP you everytime with thievery! They will NEVER tell you what they screwed up in the process of their attempt to fix something! I had one or two lessons back when I was a teenager and that was enough for one lifetime for me!!! I am changing out the heater core as well just forgot to list it.........that's basic common sense when ensuing a 5-6 hour labor intensive task!
I have just ordered a vacuum pump and set of manifold gauges to do my own evacuation. Shop manual says 26"Hg holding for 5 minutes to verify no leaks and 32 oz R134A on recharge. Being I will have the manifold gauge set I will be able to get the recharge both low and high side exact or near to it.............I won't be using Wally Worlds Professional dummy kit!
Sometimes, the old DODGE just needs to be spanked!

Last edited by Shuckapeafarms; 03-07-2012 at 08:51 AM.
Old 05-16-2016, 07:09 PM
JoshuaSulwer

So how did it go? I know what your saying about shops, but I don't think its fair to say all shops are crooks, its like saying all people are crooks... I agree with you that many of them are, and I've worked in some myself, and that's why I left because I wouldn't rip people off.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:44 PM
HeyYou
Administrator
Dodge Forum Administrator
Received 3,212 Likes on 2,963 Posts

Four year old thread, the the OP hasn't been here in four years either. Don't expect to get a reply.

Quick Reply: 2001 Dodge Ram A/C replacement